Rate of weightloss

Katie B.
on 8/3/13 8:39 am

So I'm almost 8 weeks out and have lost 35 pounds. That seems like a lot slower rate than a lot of people I've talked with. Is this rate "normal"?

Missy A.
on 8/3/13 8:43 am - NC
RNY on 08/17/12

Just are losing approximately 4lbs a week, which is outstanding. They say 3-5 lbs a week on average is what you will lose in the beginning with it slowing down the further out you are. However with me, I have been a consistent loser of 2-3lbs a week for the last 11.5 months. Slow and steady wins the race, they say!

Missy

HW:348 Consult W:320 SW:295 Current W:156 GW:140

funkyphillygirl
on 8/3/13 8:43 am

There IS no normal.  it all depends on your body, how much weight you have to lose and a lot of other factors.  It took me 6 months to lose about 40 pounds (I've lost 100 total) and I had stops and starts along the way.  I stalled numerous times, but just kept doing what I was told and let my body lead the way.

Be careful about comparing your journey to others.  Each is unique.  I'd also suggest that you keep measurements because, sometimes the scale doesn't seem to be changing, but your body is. 

Good luck,

kinny09
on 8/3/13 9:15 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

I'll be 8 weeks on Tuesday, I have lost 32 lbs. (surgery weight 299, current weight 276). Normal and varies depending on where you started at and your height, age.

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

purpleswingline
on 8/3/13 9:29 am - Fayetteville, AR
RNY on 08/26/13

You need to remember that many include what they have lost before their surgery in with what they have lost.  This can be misleading, if they don't specify that.  We will all loose at different rates, with age, how overweight you were before surgery and many other factors.  I am 58 and I don't expect to loose like someone who is 28. 

Jilly Bean
on 8/3/13 10:00 am - IN
RNY on 07/09/12

I lost about 28 pounds my first 2 months.  

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

karin602
on 8/3/13 10:02 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

I am only 4 days since surgery but would be thrilled to lose 35 pounds in 8 weeks.  Of course I'd take more loss if it happens!  But 35 pounds sounds great.  Keep it up - follow the diet given to you by the doctor and make sure you get in plenty of exercise.  My doc wants 45 min. of aerobic exercise minimum 4 days a week.  Good luck!  Karin

Karin

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/13 12:03 pm

Percentage of excess weight lost is a better indicator of progress.  The number on the scale can be very misleading; I wouldn't put too much stock in it. 

AnchorsAweigh
on 8/3/13 12:17 pm

In about four months I've lost 61 pounds. I agree with the other poster who advised you don't compare yourself to others. This is a life changing experience, not a competition. I would see people who lost way more than I did and it made me feel bad. Instead I am now focusing on what I've lost and how much better I feel. I also agree to take your measurements because even during stalls you lose inches. I'm down a total of 40 inches!

Katie B.
on 8/3/13 12:32 pm
Thanks everyone! I am definitely going to take my measurements!
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 365 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 219 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 306 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 129 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?