Can you ever get to your healthy BMI if you have the excess skin etc after weightloss

karenp8
on 8/7/13 8:15 pm - Brighton, IL

Normal bmi here too with enough extra skin for two people. I have been overweight my whole life and started my journeyay 258.5. I weighed 253 the day of surgery and have a bmi of 20 today with a weight of 125. I exercise 11/2 hours nearly every day and my muscles are very toned but I do have quite a bit of saggy skin.

PetHairMagnet
on 8/7/13 8:17 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

How is it you know that you will never lose the skin via surgery? I am leaning towards yes, I will have it removed, but have not arrived at that decision. Would love to hear your thoughts. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

poet_kelly
on 8/7/13 9:45 pm - OH

Well, I am a at a normal BMI and I have not had any excess skin removed.  I don't have a huge amount of excess skin, though.  But you know, most people that have excess skin removed don't have that many pounds of it removed.  Even if it looks like a huge amount of skin, I guess skin is not that heavy.  In most instances, it's just a few pounds.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Larry Wassmann
on 8/7/13 10:42 pm - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12

I am with Kelly. I am at goal about 8 pounds under normal BMI. Years ago I lost 200 pounds had PS and was shocked to see that taking all that skin off was only 3 pounds. It looked like it was going to be 20 to 30 pounds but it was not. It may look bad, but it does not really weigh that much.

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

cajungirl
on 8/7/13 11:05 pm
Sure it's possible there just isn't a guarantee. Skin actually doesn't weigh as much as some expect. Many times people have posted the excess skin weighs 20-50 lbs and although for some it does (and that includes excess fat).

I had some plastics, I had no fat left on my stomach or arms just skin....total weight of skin was 3 lbs. I had a normal BMI going into plastics.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Suzi S.
on 8/8/13 1:23 am - Houston, TX
RNY on 01/14/13

I definitely think it is possible.  Just a thought, I would recommend that looking into a body composition test.  I do the Bod Pod here in Houston.   In just about 5 minutes and for about $35.00 you receive the following information:

Body Composition
Total Weight
Fat Mass
Fat-Free Mass

Other measurements:
Thoracic Gas Volume (TGV) estimate
Thoracic Gas Volume (TGV) measurement
Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) estimate
Total Energy Expenditure (TEE) estimate

I like it because I can not only see how much I've lost in weight, but what I've lost in fat and gained in muscle. 

RNY:  1/14/2013, HW:  220, SW: 207, CW:  182.8, GW:  125

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 304 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 223 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 290 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 148 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?