Reactive hypoglycemia and Atkins protein bars

punkinhead
on 8/9/13 7:21 am - CA

After surgery can we eat Atkins protein bars and not dump?  20 grams of protein sound good but not the 14 grams of fat???  Any comments.....what protein bars work well with the RH #$%t  just wondering what I could carry with me conveniently.  thanks : )

poet_kelly
on 8/9/13 8:06 am - OH

Some people can eat them and not dump.  Others might not tolerate them well.  No one here can predict what you will and will not tolerate, unfortunately.  There's some trial and error involved.

14 grams of fat seems like kinda of a lot.  Some of their bars are lower in fat, though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

The Salty Hag
on 8/9/13 8:29 am
RNY on 05/20/13

The RD at my surgeon's office gave me a guideline of less than 9 g of fat, less than 200 calories, and less than 8 g of sugar,  10 g of sugar alcohols when it comes to any protein bars, We are also supposed to only have half a bar at a time. 

I found Quest bars at The Vitamin Shoppe, and I prefer those to the Atkins bars. Quest doesn't use Maltilol for sugar alcohol. ( the Quest bars I've tried don't contain Maltilol anyway )

I'd ask your nutritionist to be sure since diet plans vary so much. 

mzlaura
on 8/9/13 1:21 pm - Litchfield, NH
RNY on 03/05/13

I can eat Atkins bars no problem. Had the choc pb one today. I usually can eat the whole thing depending upon how much I ate that day. I am 5 months out though and don't have RH

HW: 401  SW: 297  CW: 200.8
RNY gastric bypass surgery on March 5th, 2013

Gilly68
on 8/9/13 1:29 pm - Central, IL
RNY on 12/03/12

I cannot tolerate the Atkins protein bars!! The sugar alcohols make me SICK!! I bloat up and get the most painful gas that usually ends with a painful BM. I don't think it is the fat, I think it is the sugar alcohols.

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/9/13 9:38 pm - Windsor, Canada

I don't know about you but my RH is a result of sugars, not fat.  

If anything, fat in a product helps to balance out blood sugar. 

How you respond to SA in products would be more of the question to me anyway.  I tolerate them no problem. All depends on you. 

Personally though I am not a big fan of bars

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 234 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 101 views