Stupid question or could it be a clot.

Louy
on 8/19/13 8:23 pm
RNY on 08/12/13

Stupid question, I have a sharp pain, could it be toxins or clot. 

I'm now just over a week post op, I have had no problems, all is going well, however this morning I wakeup with major ankle pain. It's like a hot pocker is being Jammed into my foot. There's no swelling, no redness, a little heat and pain.  Could it be due to loosing weight , toxins escaping or maybe a form of gout.    Or a blood clot?    I have put an ice pack on it and the put a pressure bandage over the top?   Any ideas.  

saterry
on 8/19/13 8:43 pm - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

First, there are no stupid question except the one not asked.

Yes it could be a clot. Acute pain, especially in an extremity, after recent surgery should always be investigated for a clot.

Please call you surgeon. Always better to error on the side of caution. Good luck and please let us know !

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

leisac
on 8/19/13 8:52 pm - Australia
RNY on 07/10/13

The best course of action is to obviously consult your doctor but in the meantime hear are a few questions you might like to think about so you can give them a thorough history.

1. Sit down with your legs straight out in front of you and flex your toes towards your head. Do you get pain in your calf? This may be a sign of a clot.

2. Are you diabetic and if so is there a chance that you have stood on something and not realised?

3. Have you been moving around a fair bit and have you been wearing your graduated compression stockings since discharge?

4. Not sure of your age but if you are of child-bearing age are you on the contraceptive pill as this may increase the risk of deep vein thrombosis (DVT).

5. Have you had a previous history of DVT or pulmonary embolus (PE)?

6. Have you taken anything to try and relieve the pain (Panadol, etc) and if so how effective was it?

Hope some of this helps to prepare you for questioning by medical staff.

Cheers

Leisa

Louy
on 8/19/13 9:17 pm
RNY on 08/12/13

Thank you, I will be at my doctors first thing in the morning, it's 9:15pm here il have to wait until tomorrow. :( 

now I have a pill stuck in my pouch, lol. But that I can handle.  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 323 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 301 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 256 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 327 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 152 views
Recent Topics