Sometimes is horrible not to live alone

dessalves
on 8/20/13 7:36 am

So I still live with my parents right?! And they are being supportive, don't get me wrong, but sometimes I wish I lived alone... Because since my surgery there are all kinds of good things to eat: cakes, breads, pizza, barbecue... And this drives me mad!! Before my surgery we couldn't have any of those things at home because of me (my parents always tried to control every single thing I eat) and now that I can't eat them, they buy it all the time!!! I know that I have to make good choices and everything (and I have been doing that, haven't slipped once) but do they have to make things so tempting for me?? I know that it is selfish of me to ask them not to eat those things but if before they didn't buy it why do they have to buy it now?? Anyway just needed to vent a little...

brenda_m
on 8/20/13 8:45 am - Renick, WV

I feel fortunate sometimes living alone. With my upcoming surgery, theres nothing to tempt me and no one else to cook for. Dont know why your parents are doing this to you but maybe if you mention to them that maybe they could keep all the goodies in their room or hidden so they arent out in the open. Your doing great staying away from all that stuff, but it doesnt help with it all out in the open like that. Keep your mind on track and good luck.

poet_kelly
on 8/20/13 8:48 am - OH

Have you talked them about it?

There is no reason they can't eat those things, but maybe they don't need to buy so much of it and keep it around the house.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dessalves
on 8/20/13 8:52 am
I did talk to them but they just kept looking at me like I am crazy and selfish for asking them so I just think it is pointless to argue...

PetHairMagnet
on 8/20/13 9:07 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I would be moving, stat. That is highly controlling behavior, not buying things as if you were unable to even be around them and now filling the house with them? I'd want no part of living with anyone who treated me so poorly. :(

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

cajungirl
on 8/20/13 10:52 am
Walk out of the room when they eat them. Yes it would be much easier living alone but you've got this. Stay focused on your goals.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

(deactivated member)
on 8/20/13 6:20 pm
I definitely wouldn't suggest you "move out stat" that is a bit extreme. I would however sit down with them again and tell them how you appreciate their support and encouragement and tell them it would help you a lot if they could refrain from buying and/or eating those types of things in front of you ... at least until you have had more time to adjust to your new body and your new ways of eating.

I shop for us (and I have a husband and son who could eat an elephant and not gain a pound)and I have told them it is ok to eat things I can't have BUT I do NOT want tempting, things left out on the counters for me to see every time I walk in the kitchen. At first I even asked them to to hide things and/or put things high in the cupboards so I couldn't see them or reach them. Our surgeries are a big change for everyone we are close to and I think we need to keep lines of communication open to let help us reach our goals. I was horrible with that at first and had a horrible weekend with eating stuff I shouldn't have and I owned up to it and we went back to nothing being left out again .. I am a work in progress and I need their help too.
nfarris79
on 8/20/13 8:14 pm - Germantown, MD

It's a hard thing to struggle with - living with others who didn't have our surgery or our obesity and not imposing our rules on them. BUT you can look at this as a learning experience. If you didn't live with your parents, you'd still have to interact with others who'd never had the surgery. You'd still live in a world of temptation. Granted, it's really hard when temptation is brought into your comfort zone, where you'd want to put down your guard, but if you can develop ways of resisting the stuff they bring at home, you'll be stronger in your new lifestyle in the future!

One point others seem to be bringing up is your parents' "controlling" behavior. That's a separate but related issue. It sounds like you've talked to them about the food, but have you really addressed the main issue with them? Sometimes old resentments have their way of surfacing in masked forms.... This isn't just about a process of changing what we eat but how we got unhappy in the first place. Maybe a more constructive conversation you could have with your parents isn't so much about the food but about how you all can have the healthiest possible relationship with each other.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 234 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 101 views
Recent Topics