1st aponment with nutritionist

marissa1987
on 8/24/13 11:04 am
How did it go did you learn a lot about vitamins or what you are expected to eat after the operation
poet_kelly
on 8/24/13 11:08 am - OH

I saw a registered dietician, not a nutritionist (which is what I suggest every do, since a registered dietician must have  degree in nutrition, pass a licensing exam, and is regulated by the state, none of which is required for a nutritionist. 

But no, I did not learn a lot about vitamins from my dietician, unfortunately,  Most of what I know about vitamins I learned from reading the ASMBS guidelines, doing my own research, and from other well-informed RNY patients.

I did learn about the meal plan I was supposed to follow from my dietician, though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

tdbull
on 8/24/13 11:39 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Kelly
Any chance you can share your meal plan with us

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

poet_kelly
on 8/24/13 11:47 am - OH

If I remember correctly (it was almost five years ago!), I was on clear liquids in the hospital, then full liquids for one week, pureed foods for one week, soft foods for four weeks, then a regular diet.  I was supposed to eat four to six times day and get at least 60 grams of protein.  A protein shake counted as a meal.  I was supposed to eat 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup food to start with.

By six months post op I was eating 3/4 cup to one cup of most things.  I still eat about one cup of most things at a time.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

tdbull
on 8/24/13 1:20 pm - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Thanks Kelly. Similar to mine.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/24/13 2:11 pm - OH

The information binder from my surgeon's pre-op education class contained all of the information I needed on what vitamins to start with initially (which then get adjusted for each individual based on your lab values) and what my eating plan was for the first 3 months post-op.  The nutritionist my program had at the time was useless.  She was used to working with diabetics and was new to working with RNY and FS patients.  Unforrtumately, many nutritionists who work with RNY surgeons seem to know very little about our actual  vitamin needs and some of them give INSANE eating instructions.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

jamienichols22
on 8/24/13 10:47 pm - MI

I have the first appointment with my surgeon on the 29th to meet him and get his requirements and such and I also meet with the nutritionist at the same meeting. They told me that I would have three meetings with her (which would cost me 130.00 total because insurance won't pay unless they have a degree) and was told that I would have two of them visits on the 29th a group and a one on one and then wouldn't see her again till after my surgery for the last one. So I was also wondering what all she would have information wise & my SO's aunt used the same surgeon and she said that at this office they help you make out a plan as for how long your on liquids, then soft and then when you can finally start your solid foods. She also said that she will help find out where I should be weight wise and give me an idea of what vitamins I will need to purchase, I guess it depends on your surgeon's office. My NUT actually works for my surgeon and also had the same surgery with my surgeon before coming to work for their office :) 

poet_kelly
on 8/24/13 11:21 pm - OH

So you are seeing a nutritionist that doesn't have a degree?  Why not see a registered dietician instead, so you can get information and advice from someone that has a degree and is licensed and stuff?

jamienichols22
on 8/25/13 3:34 am - MI

Can I request to see someone other than who my surgeon is set up with? I would much rather see someone who has been to school and has more knowledge about the process but I was under the impression that this was who my surgeon's office used and that's who I had to see. They told me that on Thursday when I go in for my first meeting with the surgeon" I will also have to meet with the nutritionist who is in their office" advised me that insurance wouldn't cover it and the 130.00 would cover all three visits I had to do ( 2 pre-op on the 29th and 1 post-op day after surgery) Sorry I am such a newbie to all this! I have Medicare and Medicaid so no requirement to see this lady per my insurance 

poet_kelly
on 8/25/13 3:39 am - OH

You can see anyone you want to see.

Now, your surgeon's office may require that you also see their nutritionist.  If that's the case, I would explain that you prefer to see someone with a degree and a license and ask why they don't hire a registered dietician to work in their office.  But they are allowed to require you to see their nutritionist.

If they do require you to see their nutritionist, you still have the right to see another registered dietician on your own.  You also have the right to switch surgeons if you don't agree with the requirements of this surgeon.