weight gain -feeling discouraged

Katie B.
on 8/26/13 12:27 pm
I know I shouldn't compare myself to anyone else but I feel like I'm not doing something right. I am almost 10 weeks out and have only lost 43lbs. I was down 45 but I've gained 2lbs over the last few days. I'm feeling pretty discouraged.
KeyMartinez
on 8/26/13 12:34 pm

Girl!! Your post just encouraged me and help me realize that i am NOT alone! I am 6 weeks out and had a weight gain of one pound! I thought I was going to die!!!!! There is so much more than goes into this journey. The scale can't read it all!! Muscle mass, water weight, stress...etc. Give yourself a week or two and then you should see more changes! We are in this together!

Keysha    

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/26/13 12:39 pm - OH

That's over 4 pounds per week!  How quickly did you expect to lose?  What was that based on?  I am concerned that your expectations may not be realistic.

Remember, people who weigh more generally lose faster (because their daily caloric deficit is higher), and we all have different metabolisms, get different amounts of exercise, and make different food choices... and ALL of those things effect weight loss.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

PetHairMagnet
on 8/27/13 5:32 am
RNY on 05/13/13
Lora's first line was EXACTLY what I says when I read your post.

You did not gain it overnight, you are not going to lose it overnight. To gain that much you'd have to eat an extra 14,000 calories a week on top of your base, needed calories. Think about that.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Alwazcharmed
on 8/26/13 1:31 pm

Water weight will do that.  I would not worry about it.  Just increase physical activity by 15 minutes for the next week or two.  You are doing great. Do not give up

Katie K.
on 8/26/13 7:19 pm - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
Don't be discouraged. I'm nine weeks out and have "only" lost 27 pounds since surgery.

martitalinda
on 8/26/13 10:10 pm

Don't sweat it out ... weight does fluctuate ... I myself get readings ranging up 3-5 pounds or down 3-5 pounds several times during the course of a month.  I keep my weight within a certain range that it acceptable to me and I know that when I do not hydrate as I should OR if I indulge in certain foods that have a bit of a higher sodium content I would see a higher reading that goes right back down by keeping up with my fluid intake and watching my sodium intake.   I did marathon swimming a couple weekends ago and was up 5 pounds right after and two days later I was back down 7 pounds.  Not to worry and do not get discouraged.  As long as you stay the course you WILL lose the weight and maintain your weight.  Can you imagine ever before loosing 43 pounds in 10 weeks? You are doing AWESOME.  Best wishes for a continued successful journey!!!!  

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

ToNewBeginnings
on 8/26/13 10:15 pm

If you are following your guidelines you have nothing to worry about. Weight fluctuates naturally. Stop weighing yourself so often.

lovedbymany09
on 8/27/13 1:19 am - NC
RNY on 06/03/13

I went 2 whole weeks and the scale didn't move. I gain one pound and freaked out but my sweetie told me it was jus****er. I then turned and dropped 13lbs out of no where. So I think it's your body trying to get use to the whole weight lost. You are doing great. I'm 12 weeks out and I'm down 53lbs. 

The race isn't given to swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...Be Blessed!!!

MSSEXXC74
on 8/27/13 1:44 am

You are doing fine.  You are more than likely not even able to eat enough to gain weight.  It's  probably water weight.  Also you weigh heavier in the evening than you do at night.  Think about it when was the last time you lost 45 pounds in 10 weeks and only had a 2 pound regain?  But It probably is not even a true regain it probably water.  When I had RNY in 2000 everyone would try to loose 100 pounds by 6 months.  You are almost half way there and it has not even been 3 months.  You are doing fabulous. If you go to my old page you will see I wrote down what i had loss every time i had a loss. At 3 months I had only lost 53 pounds.  You are not even three months.  You are doing great. Take a look if you don't believe me my old profile is Clarissa B. At the bottom of the page it tells exactly every date and the amount loss.

Most Active
Recent Topics