OT: Female runners - questions about clothing you wear.

Jules0225
on 8/24/13 8:44 am

I'm new to this whole running thing so I have a few questions. For starters ladies how do you keep the girls in line? Sports bras? Any recommendations? Also I'm looking to get some new work out clothing since I've shrunk out of mine. I was peaking at Old Navy and they have these compression pants. Is there any benefit to wearing compression garments as opposed to cotton yoga pants and a tshirt? Thanks! 

Height: 5'8", HW: 6/4/12 440lbs, SW: 11/19/12 389lbs, CW: 219lbs 01/01/2014

Michelle H.
on 8/24/13 8:56 am
RNY on 01/24/13

I am pretty new to running too.  I wear a slimmer tank top over my sports bra that I got at Walmart, compression pants and dri fit shirts. Helps keep everything in place better as I am running. I think the compression garments are better because they wick away the sweat.  Good luck... Also, make sure your shirts have coverage on the arms.  A lot of women's shirts now have really short sleeves and I was having some issues with my arms rubbing thanks to my bat wings :)

heather_leigh1990
on 8/24/13 8:58 am

I'm not a runner yet but I can still answer your questions. Compression wear keeps your muscles warm and wicks away moisture to prevent chaffing and rashes. The make different kinds of compression wear for summer or winter too. the winter keeps your body heat in while the summer is supposed to keep you cool and dry. as far as bra support goes, absolutely sports bras but there are kinds that have a thicker X that runs through the back and I've always felt they wear way more supportive than those without it

Jules0225
on 8/24/13 9:10 am

Any recommendations on where to find a good sports bra or just look for ones with a thicker X in the back? Thank you both for the advice, it looks like compression wear is the way to go! 

Height: 5'8", HW: 6/4/12 440lbs, SW: 11/19/12 389lbs, CW: 219lbs 01/01/2014

heather_leigh1990
on 8/24/13 9:36 am

I really dont have any recommendations unfortunately, its just what I look for

Walnut436
on 8/24/13 9:46 am

I am new to running too...and I will say I'm starting to enjoy it!  I actually had a sports bra that was wonderful (Champion brand ordered online)...but now after my surgery I swear all 100 pounds lost were either my butt or chest so my used to be great sports bra is now to big. I had to go to our local running store---but I got one that is SUPER supportive with soft straps that don't dig in. For me, it's important I not hurt during or after after so I just try them on until I find one in which nothing move and I can still breathe.  :)

I wear tighter yoga pants (baggy pants cause me to be uncomfortable) and a t-shirt (but most are baggy now too! :) ).  Make sure you get good shoes! I just got shoes from Khols and my feet were killing me (walking was fine but not running). I finally sucked it up and went to the local running store. They fit me, measured my fee****ched how I walk and found me the perfect pair. They were a little pricey but my feet thank me!

Enjoy the journey!  I'm training for a 8K! :)

Katie K.
on 8/24/13 7:51 pm - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
Once you find a pair you like, you can usually get them a little cheaper at zappos.com.

Day_dream_believer
on 8/24/13 12:56 pm

I don't have an issue with sports bra.  I wear the one I got at old navy.  I started out wearing running shorts and a t shirt.  Now I either wear the running shorts and a tank type running top or knee length  compression pants.  It really depends on the weather.  When it is colder I wear the longer pants.  I prefer the Nike compression pants.  All other work out clothes come from Old Navy.  I second on getting a good pair of running shoes.  I went to a running shop and was fit.  

Gina 21 Years Out
on 8/24/13 12:54 pm - Burleson, TX

The two things you absolutely, positively cannot skimp on are your bra and your shoes. They will make or break you!!

I heartily recommend "Moving Comfort" sports bras. They have cup separation, and provide lots of coverage and support. I buy them at Academy, for about $50 each. I have 4 of them, and they have lasted for years.

You def want to have your feet measured by a running store "expert", whether you wind up buying your shoes there, or not. Sure, we all want to look CUTE..but somehow cute suddenly isn't all it's cracked up to be, somewhere along mile # 10

Wear clothing that FITS. Loose clothing can bunch up, and cause skin chafing. I've gotten clothes everywhere-Goodwill/Academy/Penney's...I, myself, LOVE compression pants-the capri length ones-they make my legs feel better, and keep the skin from flapping around, and tripping the other runners...

CONGRATS on choosing to run. It can become quite an addiction!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Katie K.
on 8/24/13 7:53 pm - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
LOL on tripping other runners

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 352 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 253 views