When can I fly after surgery?

Louy
on 8/24/13 8:44 pm
RNY on 08/12/13

Well as some of you will know my dad had a major motor bike stack in central QLD. And I would like to fly up and see him, just wondering how long I need to wait after surgery to travel. The flights only about 3 hours. 

Update on dad - yesterday they told us that he was out of the woods and will live, tonight they said he should walk again but his still in an induced coma.  1 neck break, 2 upper back, 9 flailing broken ribs, 2 breaks in his shoulder and a punchered lung and the bikes missing, it was rideable so we have a fair idea who's got it but can't be politically incorrect on here.  But dad will b ok and the bikes insured.  

leisac
on 8/24/13 9:26 pm - Australia
RNY on 07/10/13

I flew home from Brisbane to Townsville a week post-op with my surgeon's blessing- that part of the trip is about 1 & 3/4 hours. You would also have to add the Melbourne to Sydney or Melbourne to Brisbane part onto that. Alternatively Jetstar have direct flights between Melbourne and Townsville but not sure how often each week that happens and have a suspicion that they are at fairly crappy times.

Leisa

Louy
on 8/24/13 9:30 pm
RNY on 08/12/13

Cool thanks, yer I want to go straight through. Good to know I can travel, now who's going to look after the dogs. Lol. I feel neglected, my hole support group has flown to Townsville.  Lol. O well, one day at a time, hopefully il be up there soon.  

gentlyonward
on 8/25/13 12:44 am - St. John's, Canada
RNY on 08/17/13 with

I had surgery out of country and was on planes for a total of nine hours, five days post-op! Glad to hear your dad's prognosis is good, and that he'll be alright!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/25/13 3:19 am, edited 8/25/13 3:19 am - OH

It depends on what type of surgery you had, any extra medical considerations, and how you are feeling/healing.  A question for your surgeon rather than us, IMO.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

saterry
on 8/25/13 4:19 am - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

WE CAN FLY AFTER SURGERY ?!?! 

I was just hoping to be able to play the piano but flying sounds much more fun !!  kiss

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

DebsGiz
on 8/25/13 8:08 am - FL

ROFL.. Love your humor Saterry.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/25/13 8:12 am - OH

LMAO

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 266 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 314 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 330 views