Coping with surgery

jamienichols22
on 8/26/13 1:55 pm - MI

I was wondering if any of you where doing this without the support of your family/friends being close? I moved to MI for hubby's health reasons and my pcp advised that I really needed to go have this surgery done. I have never had any surgeries in my life and I am freaking out!! I wanted to know how you dealt with having this surgery and none of your family or friends being there. They are all 800 miles away and hubby's family doesn't care for me to much 

APhoenixAlwaysRises
on 8/26/13 2:21 pm
VSG on 11/05/13

Hi there! Most likely when you pick your surgeon they can refer you to a local support group for people having or have had the surgery already. I know mine has one that I can go to to meet people. Hope that is helpful. Good luck!

jamienichols22
on 8/26/13 3:27 pm - MI

Thank you I will ask!

BWB
on 8/27/13 4:53 am, edited 8/27/13 4:53 am

There are people in you area that have had the surgery or in the process.  You will be surprised, I'm betting, because I just learned that a group meets at our library monthly.  They would be your best supporters since they have been through it.  Your family has no idea and their comments could throw off track very easily.  So ask at your library, church, daughters school, and look on public bulletin boards, newpaper calander, etc.

Good luck to you.

jabofa
on 8/26/13 2:51 pm - PA
RNY on 09/24/13

Yes. My immediate family are severely against me having the surgery.  My mother's stance is just eat and exercise.  Exercise fixes everything. Eat what you want and exercise afterwards.  This is the same woman who is a diabetic and is struggling with maintaining her blood sugar.  Not that I am throwing stones.  My younger brother blatantly told me he would not support me and if I had the surgery, he was going to "cut me off".  My brother doesn't have a severe weight issue and my mother is...well...she's my mother....

It is a difficult process but doing it solo requires a lot of inner strength.  I am personally thankful because no one will be able to claim they had a hand in my transformation.  You will also be able to really focus on what you need to accomplish.  I agree with the person who posted first.  Try to see if your area has any support groups you can attend. If they do, see if you can get some numbers for people who have underwent the surgery and are willing to support and befriend you.

Keep coming back to this site...there are lots of friendly helpful people here as well. Who knows... you may even make some friends here as well.....

Good Luck... You can do it and remember...YOU ARE WORTH IT!!!!

Thank you in advance....

J.A.B.O.F.A. stands for: Just a breath of fresh air...

Follow my metamorphosis:  Jabofa

"Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results."

HW: 398  CW: 344  Goal: 125

jamienichols22
on 8/26/13 3:32 pm - MI

Thank you so much! I am glad that my family isn't agianst me having the surgery but they are 800 miles away as to all my friends as well. I do have my hubby and my daughter who is 11 and the main reason that I am doing this. I want to be able to ride fair rides and go hiking with her for school. I am super nervous but at the same time I am like you I don't want anyone to take credit for my changes and success! Any time you need to talk just send me a message!! Or I am also on fb Jamie Nichols Cadillac, MI we can go through this process together

undertall
on 8/26/13 10:02 pm - Stratford, ON, Canada
RNY on 08/22/13
If you look, you will find a circle of supportive friends. My family was not really into this (especially at the beginning) so I had to find support somewhere. Don't try to do this alone - why make it harder on yourself? There are lots of people out there who are having/have had it done (who knew so many? I didn't!! What a pleasant surprise!) and you will find people you can relate to and most importantly, people you want to support as well. I think that's crucial to the process. Best of luck, friend me on OH if you like. Sometimes a quick message is all it takes to put a little more wind in your sail and keep ya goin'!!

I'm not overweight, I'm "UnderTall"

Melpear
on 8/27/13 12:55 am - Lawton, OK

We are a military family in Oklahoma my family is in Arizona and New York so I understand how you feel. I don't worry about it too much the way I see it is when I got married my husband and myself became a family and he doesn't like the idea of surgery but he is supporting me 150% my family thinks I am doing what I think is best for me so I do have their support but they are not here and yea it sucks but that's life ya know. ( I do not mean that to be snarky or anything). You will be just fine lean on your husband that's what he is there for and he will help to see you to the end. GOOD LUCK TO YOU! also I do have a support group of friends that I met when I moved here And 2 have had roux n y one open and one laproscopicly and one lab band and one lapro but failed. so I have a very healthy mix of input and support help and advice. I do use this site so not to pester them all the time though :0) However at the end of the day its you and your fam and that's the most important so be strong you will be great

bonniecontreras
on 8/27/13 4:20 am - Norwalk, CA
i only had my mother and husbands support, witch they are the most important influence in my life.... every one else didnt matter.... aside from the fact that there constantly asking how much your loosing.... and than weight gain comes and there critisizeing you..... as long as your husband supports you, youll be ok... obesity help is a great support..
PetHairMagnet
on 8/27/13 4:25 am
RNY on 05/13/13
I have friends and family nearby, but they do not know I have had this surgery. My husband knows and my mother knows and if I could take it back-she would not know.

I find support here, with my husband, my nutritionist and a phone support group.

Don't delay improving you life and your health!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 241 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 363 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 142 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 237 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 132 views
Recent Topics