6 months out and hot flashes started

ImDun
on 8/27/13 1:23 pm
RNY on 02/26/13

Right after my RNY, I was cold all the time.  I attributed "losing" my hot flashes to a lot less excess weight.  About 2 weeks ago my hot flashes returned.  I can't seem to find anything in common as to when they occur, but they do come on suddenly and leave suddenly.

I am also still into a 1 month stall.  I have 20lbs to go to my goal and am 6 months out.

Any advice?

Thanks, Deb

Member Services
on 8/27/13 2:19 pm - Irvine, CA

20 lbs to goal at 6 months!   That is fantastic.  

Here is a ling to threads that address the dreaded stall.  Hope this information helps.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/search/action,search_oh/?q=weight +loss+stall&cx=000946886326336472648%3Ae-vpeg4uyxw&cof=FORID %3A9

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/27/13 2:53 pm - OH

I'm not sure how old you are, but am assuming the hot flashes are menopause related (although there are some medical conditions that can cause them).  After RNY, our hormones go crazy, and at first there is a surge of estrogen, which is more likely the reason for the hot flashes stopping temporarily than your weight loss. After a few months, though (and it varies from person to person, of course), the hormone level drops back down to a pre-op level, which would be why the hot flashes have returned.  

Since doctors don't know exactly what mechanism combines with the estrogen drop to cause the hot flashes, they also cannot explain why they are sometimes sporadic.  Mine randomly come and go.  I had them pretty frequently for a couple of months, then they disappeared for a few weeks, then returned for a few weeks but were less frequent than when they first appeared, made another exit and reappearance, and not I have not had any at all for several months. (Because of a history of DVTs, I cannot take hormones, so my body needs to just do whatever it is going to do.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

kisersassy
on 8/28/13 11:55 am - Stanaford, WV
RNY on 10/29/12
My gyn doctor told me to take benydril for my hot flashes (surgically induced menopause) and for the insomnia. I have to say it helps tremendously