After dinner snacking

dirks34
on 8/27/13 2:45 am
RNY on 10/31/12

Lately I've been having difficulty with after dinner snacking. I'm fine throughout the day but not in the evening.

I try to get out every night for a walk or go swimming but I'm usually famished around 8 pm. I try to have a healthy snack

but sometimes I don't . Does anyone have any tips or ideas to squash that craving or fill up on something good.

Thanks

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; a optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"- Winston Churchill

poet_kelly
on 8/27/13 2:56 am - OH

Depending on what time you eat dinner, it makes sense to me you'd want a snack about 8, especially if you've been exercising before that.  I tend to be hungrier in the evening than earlier in the day.  I often do a protein shake for breakfast because I'm not very hungry.  But in the evening, I am hungrier and I tend to stay up late, so I eat a lot in the evening.

It really doesn't matter what time of day you eat.  What matters is how much you eat overall.  If you know you will want a snack at night, factor that into your plan for the day.  Eat a light lunch or breakfast if you're less hungry then so you have the calories to use in the evening.

I like to have some protein with my evening snack because that helps keep my blood sugar stable overnight (otherwise I wake up with awful night sweats), but you can eat some sort of low fat protein, like Greek yogurt, and some fruits or veggies and end up with a good sized snack without too many calories.  Or eat something like a little cheese or some nuts, just not a lot of those, along with some fruits or veggies.  The protein will help you feel full, and so would the fat in nuts or cheese, and keep you feeling satisfied for a while, but some veggies gives you something low in calories to munch on and satisfy that snacking urge.  Raw veggies with hummus is one of my favorites - the raw veggies have so few calories, and I don't need a whole lot of hummus with them, and it takes a while to eat.

Keeping your hands busy is a good way to avoid snacking.  I do stuff like sew or crochet, which I cannot do while eating, and that helps me avoid snacking while watching TV.  But if you're really hungry, I'd have a healthy snack first.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

JenniPenny
on 8/27/13 3:14 am - MN

If you're working out - walking, swimming, bike riding, etc go ahead and have a snack. Yogurt, beef jerky, cheese sticks, protein bars all make a good snack to hold you over. Fruit, sugar free jello, s/f pudding, it's not horrible to eat it's what you eat. Make it healty and you'll be fine.

jen 11+ yrs post op RNY

PetHairMagnet
on 8/27/13 3:58 am
RNY on 05/13/13
One of my 2 planned snacks is often after dinner. 10 almonds, one string cheese or 1/2 a yogurt are my top 3 favorites.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Justcallmesuz
on 8/27/13 5:53 am
RNY on 05/08/13

I like a Greek yogurt with a half a graham cracker crushes in. Key lime is my favorite, taste like key lime pie!

HW~278

CW~131

GW~160

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 415 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 431 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 527 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 242 views