Why RNY and not Sleeve?

MsBatt
on 9/1/13 1:38 am

Absolutely! It's impossible to give "informed consent" if you haven't been completely, accurately informed in the first place.

hibbyangel
on 8/30/13 3:02 am - Canada
RNY on 07/17/13

where I live (ont, canada) our health care pays for RNY Bypass because it has so many more benefits then the sleeve ..ultimately that is the main reason I chose it, but looking at all the research it was the best choice for me anways. 

MsBatt
on 8/30/13 3:21 am

Since there's no bypassing of intestine, the Sleeve does have less likelihood of causing vitamin deficiencies, and the part of the stomach that produces most of the body's hunger hormone, ghrelin, is completely removed from the body in the Sleeve. As a DSer, I have a Sleeved stomach, and it's NICE. (*grin*)

Mimisocks
on 8/31/13 12:06 am - PA
RNY on 07/08/13

I chose RNY over any other option available to me by my insurance (VSG or Lap-Band) because for me it offered the optimum results I was looking for in WLS.  I also had several co-morbidities which could be addressed by the VSG or RNY but not the Lap-band.  I am happy with my choice so far, being only 7 weeks post-op and do not find the vitamins a hardship since I took multiple pills prior to surgery.  I do struggle with getting all the water in and eating enough protein, but I am told this gets better the further out I am.  Doing research is a great way to see what YOU would be able to live with and better yet maintain for the rest of your life.  What works for me or anyone else on this forum may not be what you want for yourself.  An informed consumer is the best customer! wink

Believe in yourself and don't ever stop dreaming!

MsBatt
on 8/31/13 5:05 am

Dear one, with your BMI you really need to be looking at the DS. The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of ANY size, but especially so for those of us with a BMI greater than 50. It's also the very best at resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol. I know the Ds is harder to get in Canada, but I believe that in the long run ti would be well worth any extra effort required on the front end. After all, you only want to do this ONCE.

Check out the Revision board---you'll find a lot of people revising from the Band, the Sleeve, or the RNY to the DS, but you won't find anyone going the other way.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 434 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 436 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 283 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 335 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 283 views