Why RNY and not Sleeve?

Marissa G.
on 8/29/13 5:23 pm - CA

Why did you pick RNY over the sleeve?  Id really like to know everyones input.  I heard the sleeve is less likely to give you malnutrition and vitamin deficiencies. Also, no rearranging of the stomach. 

Please share your thoughts, id really appreciate it! 

Thanks

M

Marissa G.
on 8/29/13 5:24 pm - CA

WOW,  I didnt realize there was another thread on this page on the EXACT Topic!! Sorry guys. I'll look there! 

Jacob H.
on 8/29/13 7:10 pm - CA

They didn't have that option 10 years ago, but statistically, it seems most sleeve patients get the switch a couple years later. As long as the staple site doesn't leak, it can be very effective short term for a lower BMI. 

JLS_NJ
on 8/29/13 8:39 pm
RNY on 10/15/13
I thought RNY was by pass and DS was the switch?

But I just decided on the by pass over sleeve because I know myself. 5-6 oz option seemed less committed for me, like I was keeping my option open to have more as an option. I understand the absorption of nutrition & nutrients will be a possible problem with either surgery so I had to think more about my home situation & my motivational issues.

My DH, dear husband, is my primary support system. He loves food but loses weight by thinking hard and he's a runner. I don't want knowing that 5-6 oz. option to be my excuse or opportunity to fall into a bad eating pattern again. jls

That's just my thoughts and personal battle, but it was good for me to put it into words. Thanks for posting I hope you get clarity on your decision. Have a great weekend.
Jenn C.
on 8/29/13 8:53 pm - Naugatuck, CT
RNY on 10/21/13
This is my exact reason why I chose the RNY versus the sleeve. I know my eating habits and part of the reason I have ballooned up to this weight has been because I never had portion control. I too believe that 5-6oz is too much and my surgeon feels that eventually I will gain all my weight back post op had I went with the sleeve. I have to say though, I am afraid of the malabsorption issues that comes with the RNY however it outweighs the negative with just staying fat. Plus I am a sweets eater and the ultimate carb queen! If you can go without the carbs/sweets then maybe the sleeve is for you. I can be wrong though...

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/31/13 12:23 am - OH

Only 30% of RNYers dump, though (and for some reason, some surgeons don't tell people that).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

TXKashmir
on 8/30/13 2:10 am - Grand Prairie, TX

I considered the sleeve briefly, but anything that would allow me to drink a milkshake without immediate consequence would not have worked for me. I took the chance that I would be a dumper, and am so glad I am. That is my personal reason, but obviously everyone is different. I've seen a lot of people around here be very successful with the sleeve, and if that is what you're leaning toward, I say go for it!

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

DoryAnne2
on 8/30/13 2:35 am
RNY on 04/01/13

I chose RNY because in my research, people with RNY seemed to lose the most weight and keep more of it off.  I also felt that with my slow metabolism  I needed the malabsorption part to help my weight loss. 

The bad part is having to take the vitamins for the rest of your life, but I don't mind that if I can have a healthy, fit body!

HW:  268    SW:  255    GW:155    CW:  158

THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE AREN'T THINGS.

RNY Surgery on 4/1/13   with Dr. Gohil

MsBatt
on 8/30/13 3:19 am

Actually, that's not true---people with the DS statistically have the best results and the least regain. With the DS, malabsorption of calories is permanent.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/31/13 6:59 am - OH

I have to say that it really bothers me that even some surgeons who do the DS don't tell prospective patients this (and often don't tell them that the caloric malabsorption of the RNY is temporary). I can understand a surgeon who doesn't do the DS trying to convince a patient to have RNY with him/her rather than go to someone else for a DS, but if the surgeon does both surgeries, why not give patients FULL information all ALL surgical options?!?  When I was choosing my surgery and considered DS, my surgeon didn't even mention it.  Despite my BMI of over 56 when I started, I still probably would have gone with RNY because of my concerns about the post-op nutritional issues (and my one friend who has horrid digestive issues after her DS), but I strongly believe that if people are going to alter their bodies permanently, they should do it with full and accurate info about all of the options!

Anyway, thanks for adding that to the discussion.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 240 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 266 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 312 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 269 views