Prozac is killing my pouch!

christyj74
on 9/4/13 11:51 pm

Anyone else have trouble taking Prozac since surgery?  I'm almost 12 weeks post op...I take four medications on a daily basis and Prozac is the only one that is upsetting my stomach.  I will take the Prozac and my stomach will be HORRIBLY upset for at least four hours afterwards.  I've tried chewing tums right after taking them and that doesn't really help, only a little.  A couple of times I've actually thrown up after it sat in my belly for an hour or so.  Any suggestions?? Maybe I should try some Maalox or something to coat my stomach before I take the capsules?  

saterry
on 9/5/13 12:02 am - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

might try call your pharmacist. They may have some suggestion or even the manufacture !

devil   noooo way to feel !

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

proudmami135
on 9/5/13 1:43 am - OH
RNY on 09/16/13

Is it time released? If not, maybe break the capsule open and sprinkle the meds on some food. It could be the capsule itself that is bothering your stomach and not so much the actual medicine. 

christyj74
on 9/5/13 2:57 am

I am definitely going to look into this...it feels like the meds inside do bother me, but it could be the capsules as well.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/5/13 2:02 am - OH

Try just drinking it with more water (or whatever liquid).  That will wa**** completely out of the pouch and into the intestine.  The B Complex I am currently taking does the same thing, but if I drink it with half a glass of water it doesn't bother me. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

christyj74
on 9/5/13 2:56 am

I have tried this...for some reason it seems to make it worse...it's almost like it doesn't want to go through my pouch.  Maybe it is the capsules as the post before yours mentioned?  It just seems to sit there and feels like it's eating away at my stomach!

d_mac682
on 9/5/13 3:40 am - Gilbert, AZ
RNY on 04/26/12

I open the capsule and mix it with 3-4 oz of milk, enough to swallow it like a shot. Tastes like garbage but it works. I usually take it just before I have a protein shake so the shake pushes it through and I have something that tastes better.

Scherrie Tappin
on 9/5/13 6:35 am - CT

I take Paxil and it hurts my stomach horribly. I am 2 years out. I make sure I take it with food, it's the only way.

RNY 5/25/2011                        
christyj74
on 9/5/13 6:40 am

I thought about that but I've had it pounded into my head NOT to drink when I'm eating.  So basically, I should just go ahead and eat and then take my meds right away with a sip of water?  I'm willing to try anything!  Thanks everyone :)

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/13 8:02 am
My prozac did the same thing!! Dr switched me to Celexa not sure it is working as well as the Prozac but I could not tolerate the Prozac. He wants me to give the Celexa 3 months trial so I guess I will know better in 2 months.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 351 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 330 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 281 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 346 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 281 views