Iron

molly3613
on 9/8/13 7:33 am - TX
RNY on 01/24/13

My iron is 70 and my ferritin is 143.  At the 3 month labs my ferritin was 167 so going down.  If I bump up my supplement can I give myself too much.  Is it stored in the fat and therefore could be toxic or would I just pee out the excess?  Like B12?

Going to 6 month check tomorrow but I thought I would ask you guys first.

poet_kelly
on 9/8/13 7:41 am - OH

You can take too much of any mineral.  However, if you bump it up a little, that should be fine.  Did your iron drop from your three month labs too or just your ferritin?  That wasn't a big drop in ferritin and 143 is still really good for ferritin, so personally I wouldn't be too worried, although I would definitely keep an eye on it in the future.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

molly3613
on 9/8/13 7:53 am - TX
RNY on 01/24/13

I double checked and at 3 months it only lists ferritin 163.  Then I took the list from vitalady and the list from you and asked for a more, much more, complete draw at 6 months.  So 6 months lists iron 70 and ferritin 143.  Don't know what the 3 month iron was.  I take Sundown Naturals Perfect  Iron 50 mg with 500 mg Vitamin C every night.  Should I double it.  Would that be overkill.  I supplemented my Vitamin D and in 3 months it went from 43 to 116.  I also increased my  B12 and it increased from 556 to 2,000!

What do I do about the iron?  And increase the Vitamin C also.

poet_kelly
on 9/8/13 7:56 am - OH

You're taking two of the Sundown Perfect Iron right now?  'Cause they are 25 mg each - 50 mg per serving and one serving is two pills. 

If you're taking two right now, I'd probably up it to three, for 75 mg.  You won't need to up the C for that, because you need 200 mg C for every 30 mg iron, so 500 mg C would be perfect with 75 mg iron.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

molly3613
on 9/8/13 8:04 am - TX
RNY on 01/24/13

Ok thanks so much.  I will start 3 tonight.  Same vitamin C.  I don't know if he does 9 month labs or not but I hope so.  I set up the excel spread sheet and it makes it very easy to spot things like this.  Downward trends etc.  I want to stop anything bad before it even gets started.  Thank you so much for your advice and experience.  You have been invaluable to me in this process.  

poet_kelly
on 9/8/13 8:05 am - OH

Ask for labs at nine months, at least the ones that you've adjusted your vitamins.  That way you can see if you need to adjust further.

I think the spread sheet makes it much easier to spot trends and that's something doctors usually don't pay much attention to.

molly3613
on 9/8/13 8:13 am - TX
RNY on 01/24/13

I will,ask for labs.  He seems to be pretty easy on that.  When I added all that at 6 months he was fine with whatever I wanted.  PTH, TSH, copper, magnesium etc.  I am taking my spread sheet,in and showing him I am on top of it.  He seemed really interested in the web site and all the information I had.  He is just kind of arrogant at times.  And I know he thinks I should have lost more.  But at 66 years old, a revision surgery and no,exercise due to two worn out knees (had an ortho. appt. the other day to verify that) I think 80 lbs in 7 months is OK with me.  Thanks again.

poet_kelly
on 9/8/13 8:15 am - OH

From your tickers, it looks like you're a little over halfway to goal, which is exactly where you would expect to be about six months post op.

molly3613
on 9/8/13 8:22 am - TX
RNY on 01/24/13

I can't decide what my goal is.  Just to feel good and possibly be a size 12.  I don't know what I should weigh to be there.  I started at 319 and am now at 240....need to adjust the ticker.  I was 277 at my 3 month check and he was not too happy.  He wants me exercising like a 25 year old and I can't and won't so that.  It will destroy what knees I have left.  That is why I went to the orthopedist for an evaluation to give him.  I will walk in the water but that is it.  He is a real slave driver.  I plan to ignore any negativism from him and keep plodding on.  I am only interested in what I weigh at Christmas and at my 1 year visit.  I hope to have lost a smooth 100.  

chipmunk_roasting
on 9/8/13 11:53 am, edited 9/8/13 11:53 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada

Hi, Molly -- I'm inserting myself here, although I have nothing to write about the original topic, and you are already getting superb advice here.

I just wanted to say that I'm 64 years old, had surgery (RNY) the day after you, and am also just about 80 pounds down.   My physician and nurse practitioner are delighted with my progress (and I am, too).  You hang in there -- you've got it exactly right, and you're the one who is living in your body, not the doctor.  :) 

It's terrific to know I'm not alone in this at my age.  *grin*

Marilyn (aka mmm)

Referral - March 2011 // Orientation - Ottawa - July 8, 2011 // Surgery - January 23, 2013

Most Active
Recent Topics