Question on food intake 10 months post op.

Jules0225
on 9/12/13 3:20 am
I just ate 3oz sliced turkey from the deli, 2 thin slices of Swiss cheese and a slice of tomato on a whole grain English muffin. I feel like physically looking at my plate that that's a lot of food. Also, i dont feel full. (No i dont drink and eat). In the past I would make a tomato sandwich on the same english muffin (2-3 slices of tomato and a slice of cheese) and I could only eat 1/2 to 2/3 of it and I was full. I know pouches naturally stretch some over time and its made of the least stretchy part of the stomach. My concern is my stoma. I'm just freaked out because the last few days I've been eating the same amounts of food but I don't feel full after meals. I have never been meticulous about weighing/measuring all my food meaning if I have a piece of chicken and I know it's 8oz I would eat half of it and consider that 4oz of meet. If I have an 8oz bag of crab I would take a quarter of it - boom - 2oz of crab. So am I putting everything on the scale? No. But if I have an unknown amount of something and it looks like its a little much or I am unsure yes I will weigh it out. Sorry I guess I'm just thinking out loud. My biggest fear is not getting below 200lbs and I am approaching a year out and have less weight to lose so everything is slowing down. Again, sorry. Guess its just one of those blah days. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Height: 5'8", HW: 6/4/12 440lbs, SW: 11/19/12 389lbs, CW: 219lbs 01/01/2014

lyndaq71
on 9/12/13 7:02 am

I am 15 mos out so not much ahead of you. I don't think that is too much volume of food.  However for me I notice if I eat  too much carbs I am not as satisfied and get hungrier quicker.  If you ate an entire English muffin maybe just have half next time with more turkey and cheese.   Protein should be the bulk of your meals.  That might help.  I noticed too that the week before my TOM I am hungry a lot more.   I definitely realized I am able to eat more now bu****ch my portion size and use the protein first motto. Good luck.  

Jules0225
on 9/12/13 7:43 am
Lol good point I didn't think of. It's the week before my TOM. My body is so weird I get bloated like 1-2 weeks before which lasts for like 5 days then go back to normal around now, then during and like the week after I drop a bunch. Damn hormones. I don't eat much simple carbs. They make me feel really crappy. Once in a while though I will toss an English Muffin in the toaster.

It's hard to explain but I'm just so used to eating small amounts of food now. It's just normal to me. I think because the muffin was small and I had to kind of cram everything on it gave it the appearance of it being huge. After I ate it I freaked out because I felt like that was something I'd eat pre op volume wise and be full. Thinking about it now though pre op I'd have probably put more meat on it and ate it with something else like chips or something. I don't know if I'm weird but this is just the norm for me now it's hard to remember sometimes what it was like pre op.

lyndaq71
on 9/12/13 10:15 am

I have PMS and feel I could start chewing on my arm any minute.  I am always hungry and usually go up a few pounds  ans then I'm back to my "normal" lol.   I  have started to question myself more and drive myself crazy too.  I think at a year we realize the honeymoon will be ending and we need to be on track and get worried.  I am terrified of eating too much or going back so I can relate to your concern.   We just need to follow our plan the best we can.  For portion control its helped me to use same plate and bowl.  I don't need to measure every time just at first then I know I'm not overeating.   By the way I did not see that you lost so much when I first posted.  That is fantastic.  You are doing great and just continue to be conscious but don't drive yourself crazy either.   I wish you continued success.  

65rosesmom
on 9/12/13 7:13 am

If your signature is correct, you have lost almost 200 lbs.  WOW, that is amazing!!  Incredible!!  Truly awe inspiring!!!   

I don't think I could eat all that meat and a while english muffin.  I rarely eat my meat and cheese ON anything...some times some seed based gluten free crackers, but that's really it for me.  But I might have an extra slice or two of tomato.  

I don't think you are eating too much, but consider what you are eating the whole day to make sure you aren't getting in a lot of carbs like the muffin that could be replaced with something that will hold your fullness longer.   If that meal is the only time you are adding breads, than it probably is no big deal, but if you have pastas and breads with all your meals you might be better trading off some of the carbs for vegetables or protein.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

Jules0225
on 9/12/13 7:30 am
Thanks!! I needed to hear that. I'm not sure what my ticker says anymore since I post from my phone mostly now. I'm down to 236 so I've actually lost 204lbs. I'm down to a L/XL top (I stole my bfs XL tshirt from Old Navy yesterday and when I came downstairs he's like uhhh that shirts too big.. made me smile) and an 18 in jeans. Although my waist/hips would fit into a 16 my thighs/calves not so much. So looking at it like that, no I haven't failed. Guess I was just whiney this morning. Lol

I eat very little simple carbs. I don't eat pasta or potatos and I don't usually eat bread either but every once in a while I just want something toasted and crunchy. When i do i stick with whole grains. I do love me a good lettuce wrap. Too many carbs makes me feel blah. I think it's just one of those days. The weather has been crappy and I'm hormonal lol.

It's strange and hard to explain but it's like I don't even remember what it was like eating huge or even a 'normal' portion of food anymore. What I eat is normal to me now and I don't know why but just looking at the sandwich it just looked like a lot. I guess because the muffin was small it made the sandwich look thick. Anyway thanks again!!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 348 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 237 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 270 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 109 views