Question

Slimmer Barb
on 9/9/13 1:12 am - Show Me State, MO

I had gastric bypass June of 2005.  I think I did well, did not lose all my weight but did lose 120 pounds.  I have put on in the last 2 years 30 pounds..just don't eat well and have always had trouble eating protein.  How can I start again and get back on track?  Has anyone had this problem and had success getting back on track?

Any help would be so appreciated.

Barb

cajungirl
on 9/9/13 2:03 am
It happens fairly commonly. I think as post-ops get further out and live life many get away from their healthy eating habits. After the malabsorption decreases every calorie counts.

Time to refocus and get back to the rules. Drink at least 64 oz non-caloric liquids per day, wait at least 30 minutes after eating before drinking. Focus on protein first then complex carbs.

Give us an idea of your daily eats. What part of protein is difficult for you. We can make suggestions to help. It's doable just won't be as quick and easy as it was initially after surgery.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Slimmer Barb
on 9/9/13 4:11 am - Show Me State, MO

Thank you for your response.  I have difficulty eating protein...it doesn't digest well and I end up throwing it up.  I know I graze way to much and carbs digest easily for me.  I don't eat sweets which is a Blessing that the surgery gave me, they make me sick!!

I think I'm going to go back to the basic and start drinking protein shakes to help get in my protein requirements.  The time frame of getting this weight off is not important, it is knowing it will come off if I do the right things.

Thank you so much!!

Barb

JenniPenny
on 9/9/13 3:11 am - MN

Go back to basics - protein only or protein forward meals, snacks of protein, lots of water and lots of exercise. The tool you were given works forever so don't think you can't use it now to lose the weight you want. Start eating well - good balanced nutrition. It will be better for you in the long run. Track your food intake for a week or so and see where you need to eliminate or add foods. Stay away from carbs, high fat foods and sweets. Make a commitment to exercise. Do what you can, walk every day, go to a gym 3 days a week, swim if you have a YMCA or health club nearby. Move - park far away at the mall or store, take the stairs whenever you can, Check portions, make every day work for you diet wise. It's do-able and so rewarding when you start losing again. Good luck - let us know how you're doing.

Jen 12 yrs post op RNY

Slimmer Barb
on 9/9/13 4:06 am - Show Me State, MO

Thank you for taking the time to reply.  I'm ready to get back on track and maybe I needed to hear that my tool is still there and works if "I" do the right thing.  Thank you, thank you! 

Barb

poet_kelly
on 9/9/13 5:18 am - OH

I would start by cleaning out the kitchen and getting rid of the things you don't want to be eating.  Then stock up on healthy choices.

What kinds of protein can you eat?  Greek yogurt?  Cottage cheese?  Beans?  Protein shakes?  Making sure you get enough protein will help you feel full and make it easier to avoid snacking on the carby stuff.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Slimmer Barb
on 9/9/13 6:12 am - Show Me State, MO

Thank you Kelly!!!

Good information and yes I can eat yogurt, beans..I hate cottage cheese but I'm hoping by adding protein drinks back into the mix I can find a way to get my protein in without snacking on carbs.  I appreciate your time and comments!

Barb

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 451 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 347 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 349 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 190 views