What to do at the gym?

averybyrd
on 9/11/13 8:55 am

I joined our gym today. Mostly, I'm going to do water aerobics, because that's what my doctor recommended. 

But I'm looking for other ideas. What are some good, easy activities I could do without looking foolish? I'm not very coordinated, and I'm definitely not in shape. I may walk on a treadmill or do the elliptical, but I'm almost definitely not ready for zumba! So, what did/do you do at the gym?

poet_kelly
on 9/11/13 9:02 am - OH

You can ask employees to show you how to use any equipment you don't know how to use.  Treadmills, exercise bikes and ellipticals are pretty easy to use, though, and of course you can do as few minutes as you want to start out (five minutes on an elliptical wears me out good!).  If there is a pool available outside of water aerobics class, you can swim or just walk in the water.  My surgeon recommended walking in a pool as a great form of exercise.  Burns more calories than walking on land because the water provides resistance, but easier on the joints, too.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lindz
on 9/11/13 11:51 am - NY

Hi, I just came home from the gym. I do the treadmill for 1/2 hr. and they have a curves like circuit, I do that. I'm at  the gym about 1-1 1/2 hours every other day. Don't let it intimidate you, I've been going for about 2 months now and I have to say I like it. It makes me feel good. Sometimes its hard to get there. Its so much easier to be lazy but it feels so good to go and know you are doing something good for yourself.

Deby

START WT. 265     SURGERY WT. 233     CURRENT WT. 206.8

Louise1974
on 9/11/13 12:46 pm

I have spent YEARS in the gym ;)  as a heavy person, a thin person and everywhere in between.  And at most gyms people are so supportive.  When I was heavy I got lots of support, even from the really super fit.  Do whatever feels good to your body, it is more important that the exercise starts to feel good, like something you would actually WANT to do.  And plenty of thin folks are not coordinated and are in terrible shape.  You can adapt almost anything to your fitness level.  i once did a rebounding class, it is a class where everyone has this high intensity trampoline that they jump on while doing fancy aerobic moves.  it was insane.  so I just bounced up and down and enjoyed the music while everyone else somehow managed to get their bodies to do these crazy things.  but it was fine.  I was moving and having fun and the whole class came to me afterwards and said how great it was that I just did what worked for me and had fun.  Ask instructors about how to adapt the moves to your fitness levels.  Believe me, you aren't going to be the only one who needs this.  and have FUN!

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/13 4:56 pm - CA
RNY on 03/22/12
On September 11, 2013 at 3:55 PM Pacific Time, averybyrd wrote:

I joined our gym today. Mostly, I'm going to do water aerobics, because that's what my doctor recommended. 

But I'm looking for other ideas. What are some good, easy activities I could do without looking foolish? I'm not very coordinated, and I'm definitely not in shape. I may walk on a treadmill or do the elliptical, but I'm almost definitely not ready for zumba! So, what did/do you do at the gym?

Stood around and gawked at beef cake,.....ok, sorry, just kidding. I really believe in weight resistance training. I can give you some good proof too. I was avid, a regular gym goer for the last year. Every week I incorporated a 40 minute weight resistance program at minimum twice a week, three times seldom, but would have been better. Recently, last two months I've dropped off the grid,...here's the interesting part. My weight reflected on the scale is at its very lowest, BUT my clothes are not fitting me as well, as comfortably as when I was regularly weight training. I've obviously lost muscle and TONE.  So, my ideal regimine,...30 minutes on elliptical at minimum four days, better yet five, and preferably six days a week, with at minimum two 40 minute weight resistance training sessions per week. God, I think you've just inspired me to get my ass back to the gym.

averybyrd
on 9/14/13 12:59 am

I did some weight stuff yesterday and OUCH! But it was good. I've also been doing treadmill/bike for about 30 minutes - or a long walk outside. My plan is to star****er aerobics Monday and do that several days a week, biking, walking, working on arms and abs on the other days. 

My concern is I'm committing to too much and won't be able to follow through, but for now I'm going to work out as much as I can!

So, what am I leaving out? 

(deactivated member)
on 9/14/13 8:31 am - CA
RNY on 03/22/12

It sounds to me like you are NOT leaving anything out. The only thing I can think of would be incorporate fun into your routines. Most of us, myself included, are not going to love exercise every time we do it. Bite the bullet and realize if you aren't experiencing some measure of uncomfortable you are probably not progressing. It is true that pain equals gain, what I mean by that is pain can present in the form of boredom, soreness, a blah attitude. That is when you "just do it" anyway. But, do try to find some form of activity that you do like, that you look forward to at least a couple times a week. Save the other days for the repetitive hard stuff, and KNOW it will pay off in spades. Good for you by the way

BWB
on 9/14/13 1:12 am

Make the rounds of all the equipment and get a feel for how it fits your needs.  I have been working in the garden for 7 months and not going to the gym.  The gardening filled in some areas that the gym missed but I am ready to get back to the bike 20 minutes, treadmill 20 min, abs crunch 100 x, leg press 100 x, and mix it up with the other options.  We spend 1 hour 3 or 4 times a week.  It makes a huge difference, especially in the winter.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 402 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 446 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 343 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 344 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 12 replies · 128 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?