Help with choosing surgery type ???

Robert H.
on 9/17/13 4:14 am - St. Albert, AB, Canada
VSG on 11/26/13

I am a 58 yr old male, current weight 380 lbs. Would like to loose 200 lbs and keep it off. Do not have to choose my surgery choice till the day before the operation which is Nov 26.13.  My surgeon is Dr. Christou from Montreal, my surgery choice is either the RNY bypass or the gastric sleeve.

I have posted this on the main board as well, as a newbie some members indicated it would be best to post on a few related forums.  Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated.

poet_kelly
on 9/17/13 4:23 am - OH

Which does your surgeon recommend and why?  Without knowing a lot more about you, it's hard to say which would be best.  Do you have diabetes?  GERD?  Are you good at taking vitamins?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Robert H.
on 9/17/13 4:45 am - St. Albert, AB, Canada
VSG on 11/26/13

My surgeon leans to the RNY bypass, since it has been around longer and has a more established track record than the sleeve.

He refers to the RNY procedure as the golden standard for extreme obesity.  However he will do whichever surgery you want.

No I do not have gerd or diabetes and I do take various vitamins along with ground flaxseed most days.

poet_kelly
on 9/17/13 4:46 am - OH

If you don't have GERD, with the amount of weight you need to lose, I would personally lean towards RNY.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

leisac
on 9/17/13 6:21 am - Australia
RNY on 07/10/13

You can read my blog if you like- I've had a sleeve, a sleeve revision and just recently a RNY. My original sleeve surgeon said that in hindsight RNY might have been a better option for me than the sleeve and I was about the same weight you are starting out. Had dreadful reflux after the sleeve and no where near as bad after RNY.

One of the things you need to think about whether you can commit to vitamin requirement with the RNY- e.g. if you can't finish a course of antibiotics what's the chances of taking vitamins regularly for the rest of your life. Do your research and think carefully about these type of things.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Leisa

Charlie1962
on 9/17/13 1:33 pm - Canada

Hi I am 51 and just got confirmation that my surgery will be Oct. 8 th, I have to go to my pre-op appt. this Friday.  Boy now it is reality and I am getting nervous. My surgery is also being done in Montreal by Dr. Demyettanaere. We discussed in great detail what surgery was best for me and we die idled to go for gastric bypass.  I am worried about the length of time I will be under more than any thing else.  About how long does the surgery take???

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/17/13 1:52 pm - OH

It depends on the individual (it takes longer if you are heavier because it is more difficult for the surgeon to maneuver around inside), is the surgeon does the surgery (some do stapling of the stoma and some do hand sewing, which takes longer) and whether or not the surgeon encounters any other issues once (s)he gets inside.  Some are done in less than an hour while other have taken 3-4 hours.

I would just ask your surgeon about how long the average RNY is for him/her.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/17/13 1:48 pm - OH

I would suggest that you use the Search function and search on "RNY sleeve" and "RNY VSG" and you will find many threads about this topic (there is even another one that was posted today).  That will give you the chance to read far most replies than you will get to individual posts.

With your starting weight, RNY might be better, but only if you can commit to taking vitamins 4 times a day, can live without NSAIDs, and understand the risks of things like reactive hypoglycemia and vitamin deficiencies.

Good luck with your decision.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

(deactivated member)
on 9/19/13 5:55 pm, edited 9/19/13 5:56 pm

Hey,

if you looking forward to loose your tummy fats go for gastric bypass surgery and for overall body fats go for bariatric weight loss surgery

And i  am very sure you will get results for weight loss.