Insurance Approval

walkingbear36
on 9/22/13 5:53 am - Ferndale, MI
Anxiously awaiting UHC Choice Plus approval. How do i find out i am approved? Does the insurance company notify me directly? The surgeons office?

One more question...has anyone had the ERD before insurance approval? I had the ERD done on Friday and a nurse and the Doctor looked at me funny when I told them I am am not scheduled for surgery, i am still waiting for approval. The surgeons office scheduled this procedure, should they have waited until I was approved? It cost me a little over $1100, if I don't get approved I will be mad I had to pay for that.

Thoughts?
Cindy W.
on 9/22/13 6:10 am - Madison, CT

I don't have any advice on how quickly you will hear back from insurance, but many, many of us have an endoscopy prior to submitting the request for insurance.  Good luck...I hope the process is quick!

walkingbear36
on 9/22/13 7:50 am - Ferndale, MI
Thanks, Cindy!
sdn2013
on 9/22/13 7:09 am - TX
RNY on 09/04/13 with

Not sure how the process will end up working for you since every insurance company is a little different but for me once the surgeon's office submitted the information I checked the insurance company website for my status - mine was very rare in that it was submitted on a Monday and Tuesday morning it showed approved.  I called the surgeon's office and they had gotten the information just before I called and were planning to call me.  Before my claim could be submitted I had to have several things done - which I had already done due to another health incident earlier this year - whi*****luded an EKG and sleep study.  I had to get the psych eval and bloodwork done which didn't take long.  Good luck!!!  It is hard to wait!!!!

jamienichols22
on 9/22/13 7:16 am - MI

My surgeon's office called to let me know and I didn't have to have a endoscopy because I have never and not even while I was pregnant had heartburn and my insurance wouldn't pay unless I had a cause for it and my surgeon decided that I didn't need one. I did have to have a psych eval and it took me forever to find one that accepted my insurance. I would suggest that you contact the insurance company and ask the status that will be your fastest way of finding out

Jamie Nichols

HW:321    CW:263   GW:125 

I am a tiger who is earning her stripes!! 

walkingbear36
on 9/22/13 7:51 am - Ferndale, MI
Thanks everyone!
Another Fatone
on 9/22/13 8:36 am - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

In my program I had an "advocate" that coordinated the whole shebang. I had no ERD. But I had to buy an auto bipap.

Good Luck to you.

5' 11" 73 year old Male

Started 314 Now 200

Beware the Statistics Quoters

scoobyluvr1
on 9/22/13 8:53 am
RNY on 10/21/13
Good luck hope you get an answer soon

~Ronda~  

Can you hear me now? Only on R&R 3.0 PM me for an invite!

Ashley H.
on 9/22/13 9:20 am
RNY on 10/10/13
Once submitted, it took around five days and my insurance company, bc bs of pa faxes the surgeons office then they call the patient. The waiting (and the requirements) are the worst!! I had to have sleep study and upper GI series psych evals x two and a physician supervised six month diet and exercise program. Good luck!! Oh all of that was before any papers were ever submitted to insurance. Costs a lot. But worth it.