IVC Filter

bulldog76ss
on 9/20/13 4:25 am - OH

My doctor is wanting me to have this before my surgery.  Has anyone had this and was it difficult to insert?

Another Fatone
on 9/20/13 5:02 am, edited 9/20/13 5:07 am - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

I don't have an IVC but I have 4 stents in the heart. They were easy for me. I just laid there half asleep.

I would find out how long the IVC needs to stay in.

Good Luck to you.

PS: my friend had a IVC inserted after he came down with a lung infection.. No pain before or after.

5' 11" 73 year old Male

Started 314 Now 200

Beware the Statistics Quoters

Another Fatone
on 9/20/13 5:14 am - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

Hi

I just read your profile. This surgery and the program thereof will add healthier years to your life.

Good decision.

5' 11" 73 year old Male

Started 314 Now 200

Beware the Statistics Quoters

darlingdeb
on 9/20/13 5:29 am - OH

Hi - I had to have a IVC Filter.   I have a history of blood clots and my surgeon wanted this inserted.  They gave me a choice of going through the groin or neck.  I decided on the neck because I was told I wouldn't have to lie on my back as long in recovery.  When they go through the groin, you have to stay on your back in recovery for 4 hours.  It was a piece of cake as they say.  Didn't feel nothing going in and 6 months later had it taken out through the neck and no problem or pain.     debbie

bulldog76ss
on 9/20/13 5:53 am - OH

Thank you Debbie,  I was all prepared to handle the surgery when they through me this curve ball today.  Again thanks for the come back!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/20/13 6:52 am - OH

I have an IVC filter but it was actually put in AFTER my RNY.  I have a strong history of blood clots and my plastic surgeon actually required it.  Mine is permanent, but most are removed a few weeks after surgery unless you have some compelling reason to leave it in.

they give you twilight sedation and numb the area that it will inserted through (usually the groin, but sometimes the neck).  The insertion itself is fairly quick, but if they do it through the groin you will be required to lay still with something heavy over where they inserted it for a period of time so they can be sure the vein as closed up.

With mine, the vascular surgeon accidentally hit the artery and not the vein so he has to do an arterial plug and then insert the IVC from the other side.  The arterial plug hurt like hell for a week, but the other side didn't hurt at all.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

bulldog76ss
on 9/20/13 9:38 am - OH

I appreciate the feed back, hopefully they give me a choice on the neck insertion.  Thanks!

more2hold
on 9/21/13 2:47 am - Cassatt, SC
RNY on 05/14/13

I have an IVC filter in my groin and I had this done 5/7/2013, so fairly recently. Please ask your surgeon about the recovery timeframe or the timeframe of the procedure because I was in recovery for 30 minutes, not 4 hours and the procedure it self was pretty quick. I know everyone is trying to help but sometimes the info may not be true or accurate for your particular surgeon.

bulldog76ss
on 9/21/13 8:07 am - OH

Thanks, I will ask him about this.  I also am wondering when they will take it out.  Not really wanting this thing in for years.  Thanks again for your input.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/21/13 9:10 am - OH

Yeah, 4 hours sounds excessive to me. I was in recovery for about an hour and a half, but in my case they also had to make sure an arterial plug (required because the surgeon hit the artery instead of the vein on the first) on the first side was secure.... so I had the weighed bags on both sides for part of that time and then just the one over the arterial plug for the last 30-45 minutes.  so without the error, I would have been out in 45 minutes to an hour.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 223 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 101 views
Recent Topics