3 years post op questions......................

loves4kids
on 9/24/13 12:26 am - Goldsboro, NC

I am 3 years post op and have started to put on weight in the past 3-4 months (20 pounds to be exact) I am more active and not as strict as I should be on calories.

questions

1. what can I do to jump start the weight loss again?

2. my blood sugar is dropping sometimes (59 Saturday a week ago -- caused a seizure) what can I do to regulate that?

3. Tell me about you at 3 years post op.

jazzycatz
on 9/24/13 12:57 am - Joppa, MD

I'll be 3 years post op in 3 days. I had a goal of 160. Was at 150 just past the 1 year mark. I have maintained at 157-162 for over a year now. I'm pleased with that. That 5 lbs is what I give myself for various natural fluctuations.

I'm not a strict but I never started back on certain things like pasta or bread. I believe that is one of the reasons I only eat them on a rare occasion now. Well bread. Pasta and tortillas aren't my buddies. I've stuck to the whole protein first idea. I eat that before I eat other things.

I don't drink for at least 30 minutes after my meals. I aim for an hour. I work really hard to get in my water in vitamins.

I don't worry as much about calories as overall protein/fat/carb intake. If I see the pounds creeping up I'm either retaining water, have had a few party indulgences, or the carbs have crept back in.

I have had to give up some things. Trigger foods. Like pizza. I was giddy a few weeks ago when a friend had an order of onion rings. I realized I was 3 years onion ring free!  I didn't say anything to anyone but inside I was making my acceptance speech for my glorious prize! LOL

Exercise I do but not heavy or intense. Arthritis in my knees. So I have to watch the food more.

That's me. 3 years out.

Laura in Texas
on 9/24/13 1:08 am

It's common to gain around the 2-3 year mark. You will need to eat less and more more. There is no easy way around it. Try eating smaller more frequent meals to keep your blood sugar level from dropping too low. At 5 years out I still eat around every 3 hours.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

gbsinsatx
on 9/24/13 1:39 am - San Antonio, TX

I have always had a clear goal and plan and I have never swayed from it. I am very strict and strong-willed. My personality, tolerance, life experience and stamina are all part of the equation. I know myself and my limitations.

I am always prepared for challenges, knowing I may run into some roadblocks along the way. I am willing to create a way to overcome whatever obstacles I may encounter. If I find I need more resources, or I need to gain more knowledge, I actively seek it. 

I do not make excuses. I know what I want and where I am going. I do not cry over a mis-step. I do not get others to join me in a pity party.

I remain positive, purposeful and upbeat. I hold myself to a higher standard. I do not care about what everyone else is doing. I have come to know myself and have addressed those secret places in my life we all tend to avoid. I am happy, content and at peace with my body.

After much experimentation, I currently eat 1650 calories a day to maintain my weight loss of 190 pounds at a weight of 141 pounds. My height is 5'3.5". I am 58 years young.

I weigh myself faithfully once a week and have done so since 3 months out from RNY surgery on March 22, 2010.

I do not participate in a formal exercise program due to Rheumatoid Arthritis and Osteoarthritis. I do move around a lot more and do a lot more walking.

I eat every 2-3 hours. I eat 3 main meals and 3-4 snacks daily that include protein.

I eat at least 100 grams of protein a day. I eat dairy products that are no fat/low fat. I eat simple (dairy, fruit) and complex (beans, vegetables, whole grains) carbohydrates (I do not count daily grams). I also eat eggs occasionally. I am a Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian. 

I take all of my supplements and drink 64 ounces of liquids minimum.

I have never introduced a food into my mouth that I have not planned to eat. I always consider the protein and nutritional value of each morsel. 

I go to my surgeons office each year and my doctors office is impressed with my success and my labs come back awesome.

I know this rigid, controlled way of life is not for everyone, but it works great for me!

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

_Donna_
on 9/24/13 4:00 am

It always shocks me when I see you mention you eat 1650 calories a day and you don't exercise. This is NOT typical by any stretch of the imagination and I would hope people realize this when you say it.

I know you are not recommending it, you are merely stating what YOU do, but it's still shocking all the same.

To the OP, with anything, you have to find what works for you. However, calories in minus calories burned is how you are going to lose weight. gbsinsatx obviously has a fast metabolism.

RNY 5-5-2011

ToNewBeginnings
on 9/24/13 4:18 am, edited 9/24/13 4:19 am

I'm three years out. I don't exercise much either. (I also know I should as it's beneficial in so many ways).

I give myself a 5 pound limit and when I want to lose weight I eat between 1250-1550 calories. Normally around 1350. I can lose 3-4 pounds in a week eating that many calories. Perhaps I'm not typical either?

TurnThePage
on 9/24/13 7:24 am

How awesome!  

Question--Is that halo heavy?   

gbsinsatx
on 9/25/13 1:37 am - San Antonio, TX

Actually, my halo is quite light as is the rest of me!...LOL laugh  

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Ladytazz
on 9/24/13 11:13 am, edited 9/24/13 11:15 am

I am three years out as well and the only things I do right now is not drink with meals or 30 minutes afterwards, totally avoid all sugar and gluten and refined carbs, get in at least 100 grams of protein and 100 oz  of fluids a day and eat every few hours, mostly protein.  I don't even want to guess at my calorie intake but the last time I tracked it was at least 2000 and around 200 or more grams of carbs.  And my weight has stayed completely stable for over 2 years.  I don't eat that way every day I am sure.  Some days I have to remind myself to eat or I don't feel like eating anything so I just have a protein shake.  I still do at least 2 of those a day.  I know that this can and most likely will change in the future and at that point I will have to decide if I want to eat less or weigh more.  Same as everyone else.

I had blood sugar problems about a year and a half out of no where.  At one point my blood sugar was under 30.  That is when I started making sure I always ate every few hours and it hasn't been a problem since.  Most all the carbs I get are from fruits, vegetables, dairy and whole grains, mainly natural sources.  I weigh myself daily and record it weekly on a weekly weigh in thread on the lightweights forum.  I see that the people who are on that thread and have done that consistently as I have for nearly 3 years are the ones that don't have major regain.  Week in and week out they stay in their range and if it starts to trend up they stop it.  Some disappear for a while and come back with a bigger regain then they like and start doing that again to get a hold of it again, that and posting on a daily menu thread.  I don't do that because a) I haven't had any problem with regain and b) the way I eat is very unique to me and I wouldn't want anyone to get the impression that that is what they should do.  It is all very individual to each person.  And, by the way, other then riding my bike like a maniac in the good weather, I don't have any formal exercise program.  Now that the weather has turned I am looking for another activity that I enjoy as much as riding my bike that I can do out of the elements.  I just don't like riding in the rain, wind and cold.  I'm a bit of a diva I guess.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

loves4kids
on 9/25/13 1:05 am - Goldsboro, NC

Ladytazz -- Thank you very much - this is most beneficial!!  I have had multiple stressors in my life in the past 6 months and quite frankly -- I have reverted back to not taking care of myself.  That stops TODAY!!  I believe your diet might actually work for me.  It is pretty much what I did prior to March of this year, that and getting in some form of cardio 4-5 times per week. Before March, I only ate protein and whole foods.  Never had trouble with my blood sugar.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 334 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 372 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 236 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 102 views
Recent Topics