Pills?

MKRM0526
on 9/24/13 5:59 am

Ok, so I apologize to all the Vets that have probably heard this question a MILLION times... but I'm gonna ask anyway..

I am on four prescription meds for depression/ anxiety/ sleep. I'm taking Seroquil 100mg, Klonopin .05mg, Cymbalta 60mg, and Ambien CR 12.5mg. Am I going to be able to take them post op? I have gone off my Cymbalta for a few days before and I was a raging *you know what*. I do have my first appointment/ seminar with my surgeon tomorrow, so I will be asking them, but I wanted to know if anyone has had experience with it.

Again, I apologize to the vets that have heard this question time and time again.

Thank you! :)

poet_kelly
on 9/24/13 6:02 am - OH

The ASMBS says it's OK to swallow pills as soon as you can tolerate them.  I was swallowing pills in the hospital about 12 hours after my RNY. Some surgeons recommend using liquids, chewables, or crushing meds for a while, though.

Some meds can't be crushed, so talk with your doctors before your surgery.  Do NOT stop taking any meds, especially the Cymbalta, all of a sudden, because the withdrawal symptoms can be terrible (and even life-threatening in some cases, like severe seizures).

Extended release pills may not be absorbed fully after RNY so if you are on any of those, you may want to switch to a non-extended release version.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MKRM0526
on 9/24/13 6:06 am

Thank you so much Kelly!! You just eased my mind a bit. The Cymbalta is a capsule so I could take it apart and dump the insides into something else to take it. The others I can crush. I'm hoping once I drop the weight, I will be sleeping better and I won't need the Ambien anymore... *Fingers crossed*

_Donna_
on 9/24/13 6:47 am

You can crush the Ambien CR, but it would do away with the Controlled Release. Maybe you can get the 10mg and break them in half, then crush them. (I say get the 10mg and cut them in half because they cost the same as the 5mg, so why not have double, right?) 

I was swallowing pills right away (the day after surgery)

RNY 5-5-2011

Foundmymojo
on 9/24/13 4:19 pm
Jhbean21
on 9/24/13 7:04 am - MD
RNY on 09/17/13
I also take seroquel and am required by my surgeon to crush all meds for a while. My psych doc said it was fine to crush all of them but I ended up getting the dissolvable tablets and liquid for all the others. Seroquel doesn't come any other way other than a tablet so I didn't have a choice there.

TurnThePage
on 9/24/13 7:11 am

DO NOT TAKE THE CYMBALTA CAPSULSES APART!!   THEY ARE TIME RELEASE MEDS!  Get your surgeon AND prescribing doctor's approval before changing the dose or manner of taking any medications!  

I was given my Cymbalta caps in the hospital after surgery and had no problems. Have also taken Ambien without issues.

Check with your prescribing doctor about reducing your dose of Ambien. My doctor sent me  a copy of the medical warnings out now that women should only be taking 1/2 the standard dose because our bodies do not process the drug as quickly. It can have dangerous effects when you are 'hung over' the following morning and drive or do dangerous tasks. With the half dose,  I sleep as well, but also feel better the next morning.

MKRM0526
on 9/24/13 9:22 am

Thank you for the info. I had no idea they were time release.

Katie K.
on 9/24/13 7:29 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
I've been takings Cymbalta since I passed the swallow test. I also don't seem to be having any trouble absorbing any of my psych meds. My tolerance for stupid people at work hasn't gotten any better, unfortunately (I say as I wait for my therapist).

MKRM0526
on 9/24/13 9:17 am

LMFAO... thank you for the laugh. My meds don't help with my tolerance for stupid people either, unfortunately... I had my fingers crossed with that one as well.

Most Active
Recent Topics