Just wanted to introduce myself.

chaly
on 9/28/13 9:58 am
RNY on 11/05/13

Hi everyone,

I have been "haunting" the forum for awhile and have decided it was time to introduce myself.  My hubby and I are both scheduled to have our gastric bypass surgery Nov 5, 2013.  My hubby was told that he needed to start a high protein liquid diet after his first appointment 3 weeks ago.  He is now 28 pounds lighter.  I am to start mine this coming Wednesday.  Anyway, I am very nervous, a little scarred, and extremely excited to get this show on the road.  I have my first appointment on Oct. 9th and have to do my physc eval then.  (I know it seems a little backwards, since I am a self pay the dr agreed to do the surgery after I met him at my hubbies visit.  We don't have to worry about insurance coverage ect. so it can move a little quicker.)  We, my hubby and I have run into very supportive family and some not so supportive that totally disagree with us having the surgery done the same day.  All said, I just want to thank each of you for the support you have given me through your posts to others.  Thank you

LadyLilMax
on 9/28/13 11:19 am - Retirement Ville, AZ

A big friendly welcome to you.  Please keep us posted on how both you and your hubby are doing!  There are many wonderful people on here who are so willing to share.

Glad to have you.

Good luck.

I can only speak for myself but this is one of the best decisions I have ever made.  I feel all brandy new most of the time.  

RNY 12/11/12  HW:230   SW:220   GW:140   CW:130  5ft 1

(deactivated member)
on 9/28/13 11:43 am
Welcome! Keep
Us posted on your progress!
Another Fatone
on 9/28/13 12:05 pm - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

Hi

Both same day....sounds neat. You'll need someone to drive you home...of course.

I spent 2 nights in the hospital. When I got home I was up and about no problem. No pain pills when I got home.

You all will do fine.

Good Luck to you guys.

5' 11" 73 year old Male

Started 314 Now 200

Beware the Statistics Quoters

chaly
on 9/28/13 1:17 pm
RNY on 11/05/13

Thank you so very much.  Yeah I understand that we will need a ride home.  In our case we are actually having our surgery about 3 hours from home.  Our surgeon has let us know that someone will need to stay with us for the duration of our stay, which is a week as he doesn't like his patients to leave town away from his care.  It's been awhile since I needed a babysitter.  LOL  

barb.k
on 9/28/13 1:35 pm - Williamson, GA

Hi there, we have the same surgery date. My surgeon didn't give me a special diet, but I do have a preop visit the week prior to surgery., maybe I will get some surprise then. I  know I have a bowel prep to do the day before. I have a nearly 2 hr drive so I will check into a hotel the day before my surgery to start the bowel prep at 4 PM. I have to be at the hospital Nov 5 at 5:30 AM. 

I too only had one visit and my experience similar( I too am self pay as our insurance has a exclusion). I was given  a check off list to complete and then surgery could be scheduled. I competed everything last month (labs, EKG, UGI, and psych eval) but decided to wait til my next work schedule rather than ask to be taken off the current one.  As is turns out we are going live at work with a new computer system Nov 1 and it's a real big deal....

My best friend is flying in from WA to help me for a week. My husband will be off surgical day plus 2 post op days. 

Keep us informed of your progress...Nov can't come soon enough for me.....I have been very selective to who I share my decision preop with.....I don't ;need negative energy. I did the research, know the risks, and made a informed decision. My husband and young adult children are supportive, but are in college (local) and I am trying to not worry them.

Best wishes for you and your husband, I think its awesome that you are getting healthy together, and supporting one another.. Kudos to you.

Barbara

Neaucora
on 9/29/13 12:01 am - AZ
RNY on 04/23/12
Welcome!!!
I think it's awesome you guys are having surgery on the same day. I watched some videos on YouTube by couples who had surgery on the same day, or in the same week. They did great, and were very supportive of each other. I think it was good because they understood and could help each other more.
Keep us posted and best wishes for an uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery!!
-Babydoll-
on 9/29/13 2:29 am - Racine, WI
RNY on 08/08/13
Welcome!! Congrats and good luck to you both on this wonderful journey to a healthier, happier life!! Keep us posted...

scoobyluvr1
on 9/29/13 2:41 am
RNY on 10/21/13
Hi! I think its great you will be able to take this journey together. Wishing you both great success!

~Ronda~  

Can you hear me now? Only on R&R 3.0 PM me for an invite!

PetHairMagnet
on 9/30/13 12:43 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Welcome! You are VERY brave to do this in tandem.

My husband and I were in a pretty serious relationship crisis with his hormone dumping after his surgery and at least we knew how to deal with it when I went through the same hormonal craziness 7 months later...but together I think we'd have ended our marriage by the end of last year and we just celebrated 23 years. NOTHING we ever had to deal with in our relationship came close to how difficult it made our marriage for a period of time. No joke! There are two couples going through a trial separation at my surgeon's practice right now and they did theirs in tandem. 

I would never discourage anyone from the surgery, but I WOULD encourage you to have some structured therapy/counseling in place to deal with the onslaught of deeper emotions that can come from the hormonal changes. And think of what would happen if one of you sailed through and one of you had a heck of a time. 

So again, not to be discouraging, but rather 'eyes wide open' for you both.

:)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Recent Topics