quick question

alyssak1013
on 9/28/13 9:22 am - CO

Hello everyone,  I know for some of you it has been a very long time since you have been where I am but I am still hoping you can remember.  I am 3 weeks out and am still pretty sore and just overall feeling crummy.  I thought by now I would be feeling great so this is why I am a little bit curious.  How long did you all feel crummy for after surgery?  I know it will vary person to person but I'd like to know if what I'm feeling is normal.  Thanks for your time, I hope you are all doing great:)

Alyssa

K Pearl
on 9/28/13 9:46 am
RNY on 09/18/13
Did you have an open or lap surgery? Did you have anything else done, too (gall bladder removal, hernia repair)?
alyssak1013
on 9/29/13 12:10 am - CO

Hi, I had laproscopic surgery and just the bypass itself nothing else done.

Alyssa

Oct32013
on 9/28/13 9:51 am - Canada
Im seven days out rny and i feel amazing. Walki g for atleast an hour a day. Havnt had any pain meds sence day of surgery. Everyone is differnt tho i think some people it takes 4-6 weeks to start feeling normal again
kinny09
on 9/28/13 9:55 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

I had pain until week 3 and was on pain meds until then, no complications or extra procedures, laparoscopically done. Surgery is different for everyone, just take it easy, take your pain meds as prescribed, remember to walk and keep sipping all day long. Get some good sleep too, it will help the healing process.

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

KimKinVA
on 9/28/13 10:01 am
RNY on 11/13/12 with

Hi Alyssa,

I am always a bit jealous when I read posts from people who have very little pain post-op and who can go back to work after a week. I was in a lot of pain after my surgery for about a week to 10 days. Even after the worst of the pain, I was still very sore and uncomfortable for at least 3-4 weeks. I had little energy and was very fatigued for the first 2 months. After about 8 weeks, I started getting some energy and feeling better. I share all that to encourage you to be patient with yourself and try not to worry that you're still feeling crummy. Some of us take a little longer to heal and recover from the surgery.

How are you doing otherwise? Are you getting in your vitamins, water, and protein? Hang in there and keep coming back here for support! :-)

alyssak1013
on 9/29/13 12:12 am - CO

It definitely is a work in progress.  I am trying but struggling to get in my vitamins water and protein.  I can get more in if I am on my pain meds otherwise it's definitely a huge struggle.

Alyssa

PetHairMagnet
on 9/28/13 11:01 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I had lap in May and was up walking a few hours after surgery and really felt great except the morning of days 4 and 5.  I went back to work after a week and traveled for work a few weeks after that. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Ajai
on 9/28/13 11:30 am
I just had lap gastric bypass 8-22-13 and open hernia repair at the same time. I didn't start to feel better until around week 4 or 5. Then as soon as I did, the left side pain kicked in and lasted about a week then went away. I still have moments where I get exhausted now and although I don't have a ton of energy at least I don't have pain anymore. Hang in there, it gets better. I promise.

RNY 8/22/13 HW: 296 SW: 278 GW: 150

sdn2013
on 9/28/13 11:32 am - TX
RNY on 09/04/13 with

I had my RNY 3 1/2 weeks ago on 9/4 - I just returned to work this past Tuesday so close to 3 weeks off.  I took pain meds in the hospital and the first day or two at home - honestly it tasted so bad it was hard to keep down!  I originally planned to take a little over a week off but when I got the paperwork from FML they had it out further and I am thankful now I took the time.  I wasn't necessarily in pain - just moved slow and very tired!  Take time to let your body heal - I have read a wide variety of time tables on here!  But if in doubt call your surgeon's office!  When I went for my 2 week follow up they asked several questions about pain and energy level.  Each day is getting better!  Good luck!!

Recent Topics