Need Help! NSAIDS & RNY!!!

Joyce P.
on 10/6/13 7:10 am - Halifax, VA
DS on 11/07/14
I was thinking of RNY until I was researching it and if you are on NSAIDS it is not recommended that you have the RNY. Anyone else have this problem?

Joyce P
Halifax, Virginia

ebtiger24
on 10/6/13 7:24 am - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with
Not supposed to take them because of ulcer risks. If you need to take NSAIDS you may want to look at the sleeve.

April M.
on 10/6/13 7:25 am
RNY on 09/26/13
Yes... They can cause ulcers after the surgery... Once you have RNY you should never take NSAIDS... I think you can have then with the sleeve though....
April
ebtiger24
on 10/6/13 7:30 am - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with
I'm not sure how much more likely you are to get an ulcer as it can cause ulcers to people without surgery, but if you develop one in your old stomach, diagnosis and repair become very tricky.

poet_kelly
on 10/6/13 7:43 am - OH

Actually, the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery now recommends all WLS patients avoid NSAIDS if possible, regardless of what type of surgery they have.  However, NSAIDS are probably most dangerous for RNY folks because if you get an ulcer in the blind part of your stomach, diagnosing and treating it is very difficult.

Have you talked with your doctor about alternative to NSAIDS?  I would find out if there are other types of meds that might work as well for you and try those out to make sure they work before having RNY, if you now rely on NSAIDS regularly.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Joyce P.
on 10/6/13 7:53 am - Halifax, VA
DS on 11/07/14

Thank you all so much for the info! :)

Joyce P
Halifax, Virginia

bsouder2210
on 10/6/13 8:40 am
Nsaids are a big no no. They require stomach acid. Without, they will stick to the stomach wall and cause ulcers.

poet_kelly
on 10/6/13 9:03 am - OH

That's not correct.  They do not stick to the stomach and that is not how they cause ulcers.  They cause ulcers because when they enter the bloodstream, they cause the lining of the stomach to thin.  That's why NSAIDS can cause ulcers even if taken by IV or injection, and it's also why they can cause ulcers in the remnant stomach, which they never enter even if taken orally.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

bsouder2210
on 10/6/13 10:47 am
"Stick to the lining of the stomach" is a direct quote from the doctor when i asked him this question. Not here to argue but that's where i got my info

poet_kelly
on 10/6/13 10:49 am, edited 10/6/13 10:50 am - OH

I hope your doctor really understands pharmacology better than that.

Did he happen to explain how they can "stick to the lining of the stomach" even when given by IV or injection?  Or how they can "stick to the lining" of the remnant stomach, which they never actually enter?

Most Active
Recent Topics