Feeling frustrated.

chaly
on 10/16/13 3:11 pm
RNY on 11/05/13

Well, surgery is Nov. 5th. and my honey is in the hospital with cellutlitis once again.  He let the E.R. dr. know that he was scheduled on Nov. 5th and the dr. decided to keep him at least overnight.  The dr. is running the whole bunch of tests to make sure that no blood clots exist, and have him on a heart monitor for his low BP 99/54.  Anyway, I spoke to our surgeons nurse and she assures me if he gets rid of this by next Wednesday that we will still be a go.  That was reassuring to us both.  She also told me to make sure he sticks to our high protein liquid pre-surgery diet.  I spoke to his hospital nurse (as the dr. was gone for the day), and was rewarded with he needs protein and not to be on a diet despite my trying to explain he was having weight loss surgery.  She finally agreed to speak to the hospital dr.  My husband has told them he will not eat unless its on our diet.  I feel like screaming "Figure it out people!"  i understand this is not the hospital we are having surgery at, we are having it 3 hrs. away at a center of excellence, but this hospital does do these types of surgeries.  It shouldn't be that hard.

Member Services
on 10/16/13 3:43 pm - Irvine, CA

Sorry to hear you are both going through this so close to surgery. Hang in there.  We will be thinking of you both.

Another Fatone
on 10/16/13 4:34 pm - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

I hope everything works out for you and he. Stay strong.

I had several issues to overcome also. Glad I had the surgery. 

All the best.

5' 11" 73 year old Male

Started 314 Now 200

Beware the Statistics Quoters

Dukemom
on 10/16/13 8:41 pm
RNY on 12/17/13

Don't quit fighting for the diet he needs.  Ask to speak to the supervisor of nursing, the head of the dietary department, ANYONE you need to talk to so you can be heard.  I hate that patients and their families have to fight so hard for themselves.  As a former ICU nurse (WAY back in the 80's) that was part of my job:  to go to bat for the patient and cut red tape when needed.  Nurses' today don't have time for that.  Not that I had any free time on the job, but I was taught I was my patient's advocate - as well as his caregiver.  Today it's the families who have to be the patients' advocates. 

"Perseverance, secret of all triumphs."  ~ Victor Hugo   

Highest weight:  290; Weight at Surgery:  231; Current Weight:  126 (as of most recent Sunday)

Jenn C.
on 10/16/13 8:52 pm - Naugatuck, CT
RNY on 10/21/13

What type of diet does he have to do? Is it a 2 week liquid diet? See if he can do a modest 1000 calorie diet that consists of just meat, low carb veggies and a small amount of dairy. As long as he eats low carb and low fat along with appro. 1000 calories he will shrink his liver and lose weight.

Hope they figure something out quick!!

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

kinny09
on 10/16/13 11:17 pm - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

At the very least maybe you can go out and get some shakes for him and bring them to the hospital? That way you can better control his protein liquid diet...Hospitals are hit and miss with patient dietary control.

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

chaly
on 10/17/13 2:43 am
RNY on 11/05/13

My honey had to have a two month high protein diet.  Eating meat and veggies, although healthier, is not what our surgeon wants for him.  Thank you for the idea of taking him in his shakes.  I'm not sure why I didn't think about that.  That is a very easy solution to the problem, although I still believe the hospital should be able to accommodate this.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 344 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 209 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 374 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 339 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 269 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?