Vitamin D3

Pookah
on 10/22/13 6:20 am - Dallas, TX

As most of you know, I am still pre-op.  I have been struggling for YEARS with very, very low Vitamin D.  Most doctors prescribe me time in the sun (not happening for the most part) and Vitamin D in D2 form which I know is not as well absorbed as D3.
So, I plan on hitting GNC for my 1000 mg Folic Acid (I'm on methotrexate which leeches my folic acid, hence the high dose) and I am looking for a good D3.  It doesn't have to be at GNC.
Any advice on brands and dosages?

cajungirl
on 10/22/13 6:28 am
My local GNC has D3 in dry form. It was in 1000 iu which is too low for my needs so I order from vitalady.com or amazon depending on what else I'm needing.

I strongly recommend you go somewhat conservative in your choice but be proactive. Have your labs checked again in a month or two.

I'm sure you are aware too high levels can become toxic so I hesitate to suggest an amount to try.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

angeleigh
on 10/22/13 6:29 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

While for now you can do normal vitamin D3. any brand but after RNY you want a dry vitamin 5. Which for most people you have to get it online. http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/vitamins-and-minerals/b ariatric-advantage-dry-vitamin-d-60-180-count.html

I would start with just one a day, but it really depends on how low your levels are. Some people need more then 5,000 a day. I personally have 2 a day to keep my levels in a good range, before rny i was low and had to do the 50,000 3 times a week.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

poet_kelly
on 10/22/13 6:46 am - OH

You can get dry D3 in most stores that sell vitamins.  Just not in large doses.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Pookah
on 10/22/13 8:33 am - Dallas, TX

Thanks for the link and advise!  Yes, I try to be conservative and because of my health issues I usually get levels of certain vitamins checked when they check my thyroid every quarter.

poet_kelly
on 10/22/13 6:45 am - OH

Tender D3 from vitalady.  50,000 IU capsules.

What's your vitamin D level now?  When my ex, who had not had WLS, had his tested and it was 40, he took 50,000 IU D3 once a week for a couple months (your level needs to be at least 80, according to research).  Then he took it every other week for a long time.  Maybe still does, I don't know.

After RNY, most post ops need at least 10,000 IU D3 a day (in addition to whatever is in their multi and calcium supplements).  Many need a lot more than that.  I have to take 50,000 IU three times a week to keep my level around 100.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Pookah
on 10/22/13 8:35 am - Dallas, TX

Thanks Kelly.

I know I was very low in the beginning, I think about 25 but I'd have to look it up to be sure.  If I remember right I'm in the 50s now and my dr wants me to up it but it isn't as dire as it was.  Right now I've just been getting D through food, sun, multivitamin and occasional course of d2 weeklies my primary care dr prescribes.

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 10/22/13 6:45 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

I take dry D3 50,000 3x a week. 

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

65rosesmom
on 10/22/13 7:00 am

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135