Needing help with leg muscles twitching.

apurdie
on 10/22/13 11:59 am - CA

Hi. I am one year post, have reached goal and without complications. I have not been on the forum for months.  A couple of months ago I developed muscle twitching which has gotten worse and now even involve stomach cramps.  Labs ate all great. Has anyone else had these?  If so, what helped?  Thank you!  Allison

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/13 12:25 pm

I know you said your labs all looked great, but electrolyte imbalance is a possible culprit. Low potassium, low magnesium , and low calcium can all cause this symptom.  Often, if your potassium is low, your magnesium and/or your calcium will be too. It might also be worthwhile to double check your vit D level too. 

apurdie
on 10/22/13 12:33 pm - CA

Thank you for your reply!  All these were just taken per my request and are good. I did read somewhere that magnesium can't really be tested in the blood and must be looked at cellularly?  I don't understand this but it was enough to make me continue with a separate magnesium supplement too. 

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/13 12:38 pm

you may also need to check your b12 levels also

LadyLilMax
on 10/22/13 12:39 pm - Retirement Ville, AZ

I had the same problem and just had a bunch of lab work done.  Doc said all labs were normal but I requested copies so I can track my own.

He did suggest I take magnesium and also G2.  Within one day the pains started getting less.  

RNY 12/11/12  HW:230   SW:220   GW:140   CW:130  5ft 1

vitalady
on 10/23/13 1:38 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
You read correctly. Which mag did you buy? Mag oxide is useful for the bathroom. It's useless if you need it throughout your body. That's be mag citrate (pills, not the bowel prep).

Restless leg can be iron deficiency (or not).

Your labs, how many vials?

I ask because a short draw might not show you where the issues are.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

apurdie
on 10/22/13 12:58 pm - CA

B12 is perfect. But, what is G2?  Allison

LadyLilMax
on 10/23/13 2:54 pm - Retirement Ville, AZ

G2 is gatorade the low calorie one, not the regular one.  

RNY 12/11/12  HW:230   SW:220   GW:140   CW:130  5ft 1