Ok almost time.

Jvino
on 10/27/13 1:07 pm
Looks like Thursday is still a go! I'm still a little confused on the protien intake post op. for example first day home on clear stage how do you get all the protien you need on 3-4 ounces of liquid and water during the day. And also after 3-4 ounces of protien shakes? Thanks. So much to take in.
kinny09
on 10/27/13 1:14 pm, edited 10/27/13 1:14 pm - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

Your shakes count toward you liquid goal, so in between drinking/sipping shakes, you would be sipping on water or similar beverage, broth, etc. The key is to just keep drinking from the time you wake up till you go to bed early out. In a few weeks post op you will find it much easier to drink closer to normal and take regular sips. Protein is important for healing, but overall hydration is the most important thing right after the surgery. I was never restricted to a liquid amount in the beginning, they just basically gave me regular sized cups of water in the hospital and said to keep sipping at my own pace, I opted for a straw early on because it made things easier (may or may not cause gas issues for you, that's the only reason it's sometimes advised against, but you won't know until you try imho). Once I was discharged I made my 3 protein shakes a day, at 8 oz. each, each shake took me about 1.5 hrs each to finish in the first 2 weeks. I drank water or diet snapple in between that (you don't need to space your shakes from other liquids as you would from a solids meal btw). Now at this point (4.5 mos out) I can chug just about any liquid as normal. So don't stress too much, you will figure out a rhythm/pace pretty quickly...

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

Jvino
on 10/27/13 1:19 pm
Thank you. That did help.
TXKashmir
on 10/27/13 11:31 pm - Grand Prairie, TX

I just wanted to kind of clarify. I think you were more concerned about meeting protein goals rather than water/fluid goals. It is true that in those first weeks, hydration will be the most important thing. Don't stress about meeting protein/vitamin goals until you are a bit more healed up. Good luck to you - I'm sure you're gonna do great!

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

Jvino
on 10/28/13 10:25 am
Thank you
Most Active