ANXIETY pre-surgery

kbinaz
on 10/27/13 7:37 am

My RNY surgery is scheduled for November 4th - a week from tomorrow and I am a nervous wreck.  I'm not sure why I'm so stressed out about this.  I have had similar surgery - Lap band five years ago - so it isn't like I don't know what to expect.  I'm having trouble sleeping and getting my brain to stop obsessing. Most of my thoughts are about the foods I am going to miss and fear of failure.  Did anyone else feel a lot of anxiety pre-op?   

Stacy Sikes
on 10/27/13 9:15 am - OR

I have not had the surgery yet so I can not really help you with this, but I do have the anxiety also. My surgery is not until Dec 2nd, I suppose that I am more keeping my mind of how this is going to help me. I look through the before and after pictures to keep my mind on the good that this surgery will do, and not that I won't be able to eat a king size candy bar or other foods I LOVE.  I know it is not easy, but that is what I do to help me. Good luck.

Sherrie P.
on 10/27/13 9:31 am
RNY on 02/06/13

I am a band to bypass revision.  I will warn you - the revision surgery was much harder than the Band. I was back to work with the band in like a week.  I would do it again tomorrow, so don't worry!! But I was not prepared for a more difficult recovery.

I was anxious, but it was the best decision ever.  I don't miss the foods I can't have usually - because the weight loss is worth it.

Best of luck!!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

JayVB
on 10/27/13 12:04 pm - Benton City, WA
RNY on 08/20/13

Nervous is what I was the month before surgery too.  Keeping active with projects helped.  Fixing things around the house and trying to walk to make me tired had an added help.  For me the worrying was not needed as mine went well. 

jamienichols22
on 10/27/13 12:06 pm - MI

I am pre-op as well but yes I have been apart of this board for a while and I read this a lot. This is your big step and it's life changing. I have been told to do a fair well to the foods that you enjoy and are bad for you. I was told and I know it might sound weird but go for a one last supper and tell the food why you can not longer have it and it helps set your mind at ease. I hope you find peace and get some very well needed rest before your surgery

Jamie Nichols

HW:321    CW:263   GW:125 

I am a tiger who is earning her stripes!! 

kbinaz
on 10/27/13 6:41 pm

I am beginning to think some of the anxiety and lack of sleep are due to having to be off my hormone replacement therapy.  I am clearly showing signs of low estrogen - my main symptom is waking up in the middle of the night and not going back to sleep.  With the stress of thinking about surgery it gives me something to worry about while I'm awake.  The doctor had me go off my bioidentical hormone replacement a month before surgery and I am really feeling the effects of being off them - much more anxiety.  Apparently being on hormone replacement therapy brings greater risk of blood clots after surgery.  I am wondering what mental state I'm going to be in by my surgery day, and how I'm going to be able to cope with surgery and all that comes after during recovery with my hormone levels so low.  I tend to get anxiety and a bit of depression when my estrogen is too low.  

PetHairMagnet
on 10/28/13 12:50 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On October 28, 2013 at 1:41 AM Pacific Time, kbinaz wrote:

I am beginning to think some of the anxiety and lack of sleep are due to having to be off my hormone replacement therapy.  I am clearly showing signs of low estrogen - my main symptom is waking up in the middle of the night and not going back to sleep.  With the stress of thinking about surgery it gives me something to worry about while I'm awake.  The doctor had me go off my bioidentical hormone replacement a month before surgery and I am really feeling the effects of being off them - much more anxiety.  Apparently being on hormone replacement therapy brings greater risk of blood clots after surgery.  I am wondering what mental state I'm going to be in by my surgery day, and how I'm going to be able to cope with surgery and all that comes after during recovery with my hormone levels so low.  I tend to get anxiety and a bit of depression when my estrogen is too low.  

OH MY GOD! Why on EARTH would they have you go off your hormones when you are about to undergo some MASSIVE hormone changes!? My doctor told me to be UBER VIGILIANT about taking my bio-identicals leading up to and immediately following surgery so that there would not be any issues beyond regular healing.

Hormones are KEY to health and happiness and the ability to regulate your emotions, sleep cycles and so forth.

I'd refuse and let the doctor know that is just crazy!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active