Vitamin B's Need info

JaneJetson60
on 11/11/13 3:34 am, edited 11/11/13 3:40 am
RNY on 05/07/12

Hi Kelly, how much Vitamin B-6 should we be taking and same for B-complex?   Thanks a bunch.   Jane

poet_kelly
on 11/11/13 3:44 am - OH

For B6, twice whatever the RDA is.  I don't remember it off the top of my head.

The ASMBS says a B complex is optional.  I don't want to take any more pills than I have to, so I wouldn't bother with one unless at least a couple of my B vitamins were low.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

JaneJetson60
on 11/11/13 4:16 am, edited 11/11/13 4:17 am
RNY on 05/07/12

Thanks Kelly. I take vitamins religiously and I am starting to have nerve damage in my hands.  I take 1000 mcg's of B-12 everyday but they are having trouble narrowing in down what is going on.  I have labs done every three months because I am having all types of health issues right now.  We are also looking at carpal tunnel syndrome, which would not surprise me at all. I was taking a B-complex right from the get go. Any other suggestions that might help would be appreciated.  Hard to determine what to to recommend with no diagnosis yet.  Hurts like hell to type but I read everyday here and just yell at the screen.  Thanks again.  Jane

poet_kelly
on 11/11/13 4:28 am - OH

What's your B12 level?  Taking a B complex won't help you get more B12, unless it's a sublingual.

What about your thiamine and copper levels?  Those would be the next two likely culprits, supposing it's something nutritional.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

JaneJetson60
on 11/11/13 4:48 am
RNY on 05/07/12

I am guilty that I don't bring home my copy of labs. I know you have always stressed this and it's time for me to get on the ball.  I asked the doctor if I should get the B-12 shots instead and he said no, your B-12 is actually on the high side, Always has been since I started have labs done.  I will let you once I get all my copies.  that way we can go over all of it.    

poet_kelly
on 11/11/13 5:02 am - OH

Then your B12 is probably not the problem.  Find out your thiamine and copper levels and make sure those have been checked.

JaneJetson60
on 11/11/13 5:57 am
RNY on 05/07/12

Will do, Kelly.  Thanks.

PetHairMagnet
on 11/11/13 10:31 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On November 11, 2013 at 12:16 PM Pacific Time, JaneJetson60 wrote:

Thanks Kelly. I take vitamins religiously and I am starting to have nerve damage in my hands.  I take 1000 mcg's of B-12 everyday but they are having trouble narrowing in down what is going on.  I have labs done every three months because I am having all types of health issues right now.  We are also looking at carpal tunnel syndrome, which would not surprise me at all. I was taking a B-complex right from the get go. Any other suggestions that might help would be appreciated.  Hard to determine what to to recommend with no diagnosis yet.  Hurts like hell to type but I read everyday here and just yell at the screen.  Thanks again.  Jane

Maybe I misunderstand...are you attributing carpal tunnel to B12 or any lack of vitamins?

I have had surgery on both wrists and can tell you, no surgeon ever even mentioned lack if vitamins as a reason. It is also pretty easy to diagnose with nerve conduction testing. If you have it, then the decompression surgery is simple and while there is a good bit if PT to get full use and strength back, it is well worth it!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

JaneJetson60
on 11/11/13 11:51 pm
RNY on 05/07/12

No, lack of vitamin B-12 can cause neuropathy and many times it can be confused with carpal tunnel.  Being as my b-12 is on the high side, I know i will need to go on and get the test done for my hands.  Thanks for responding.  Did you have the surgery done on your hands for carpal tunnel?  MY entire family seems doomed with it but we are also on laptops continuously. Thanks for responding!  I use to be on here daily and miss being active.  Guess I will have to type with minimal response, which is really hard for me!  Take care! kiss

PetHairMagnet
on 11/12/13 12:09 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On November 12, 2013 at 7:51 AM Pacific Time, JaneJetson60 wrote:

No, lack of vitamin B-12 can cause neuropathy and many times it can be confused with carpal tunnel.  Being as my b-12 is on the high side, I know i will need to go on and get the test done for my hands.  Thanks for responding.  Did you have the surgery done on your hands for carpal tunnel?  MY entire family seems doomed with it but we are also on laptops continuously. Thanks for responding!  I use to be on here daily and miss being active.  Guess I will have to type with minimal response, which is really hard for me!  Take care! kiss

Yes, had it done on both. One in '98 and the first in '95. U have done the suicude slash and the have cut-recommend the suicide slash 100%. I had it first, thought it was rough and asked for the other on the second hand. WHAT A MISTAKE!!
If you have not researched it yet, there is a program called Dragon naturally speaking. My brother used it after breaking his hand and even though he now has full use, he still uses the program! Not very expensive, either!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!