Malabsorption stops and villi regrow???

Jen Lyn
on 11/16/13 3:37 am
RNY on 11/11/13

Can someone point me to medical studies showing the villi grow back or malabsorption stops at 18-24 months?  I think I was told it is forever so I have to take vitamins forever.

I had the Roux-en-Y.

MrsLitch
on 11/16/13 3:57 am, edited 11/16/13 4:34 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

The malabsorption of vitamins IS forever, the malabsorption of calories  is the current belief.

Follow this link to find links to the information you seek http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/4189928/Medical-studies-on-long-term-RNY-malabsorption-of-calories/

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Mary Catherine
on 11/16/13 4:01 am

There are no studies.  It is mostly a theory.  Some people believe that we need to take vitamins for life because the parts of the intestine that absorb certain vitamins have been cut away.  Some people believe that our intestines learn to reabsorb vitamins, just like they learn to reabsorb food.

It is more of a belief system than a true science.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/16/13 4:04 am, edited 11/16/13 4:10 am - OH

Actually, there are LOTS of studies on the phenomena with people who have ahd portions of bowel removed surgically, but none that I am aware of specifically for RNY. you can search for "short bowel syndrome adaptation" to find studies and medical articles on the issue.

As already mentioned, only the caloric malabsorption is temporary; we have to take vitamins for life because the vitamin malabsorption is permanent because only certain portions of the intestine have the ABILITY to absorb certain vitamins. There is nothing theoretical about that.  Those with surgically removed intestines also have to take vitamins for life.

Lora

edited to add: here are two articles that might be available free online (I'm not sure because I had access to a number of medical journal database sites from grad school):

Luminal Nutrients and Intestinal Adaptation Weser, Elliot Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology & Nutrition (April 1985)  165-166   Intestinal Adaptation — Mechanisms of Control Robin C. N. Williamson, M.B., M.Chir., F.R.C.S. New England Journal of Medicine (June 28, 1978) 1444-1450

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

LilyBugsMommy
on 11/16/13 4:04 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

Hopefully someone else can share a medical link for you, but, here is my understanding of what happens after RNY: yes our villi grow back in the part if the digestive system we retain (bowels, etc). However, the part of our bowel that would grow the villi that would absorb the vitamins & minerals from our food are in the part of the bowel that is bypassed. So, we will never absorb them correctly because we are not using that part of our bowel anymore. That is why we have to take vitamins for life. The villi that grow back are the kind that absorb everything else from the food we eat, but they aren't the right ones or aren't in the right location to absorb vitamins, etc.

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Jen Lyn
on 11/16/13 9:20 am
RNY on 11/11/13

Thanks.

MyLady Heidi
on 11/16/13 10:39 pm

They magically cut only where we absorb vitamins but not where we absorb food.  You would think they would piece back into use the part of the intestine to absorbs vitamins and bypass more that is only going to grow back more villi to absorb more food.  Personally I am buying none of it, if I am absorbing food then I am absorbing vitamins since all my vitamins come from my healthy diet.  I take NO chemicals made in a lab.  None. Zero. And my labs are normal and I am at the optimum weight for my height at nearly nine years out.  Yes the malabsorption ends, yes you can regain, yes you have to eat clean and healthy chemical free natural foods for life otherwise this doesn't work. 

(deactivated member)
on 11/17/13 12:17 pm

Again, this all depends on the type of rny surgery you have had and how much intestines have been bypassed if youve had the standard proximal rny and very little intestines removed  then there shouldn't be any problems and you would have to take in little to possibly no vitamins but if it's distal or erny which some of you have mentioned and or gastrectomies and a lot of intestines cut out then you will have to do a lot of supplements.

I'm still getting my head around all of this, Regards

ShrinkingJoe
on 11/18/13 8:53 pm

There is no science on this.  It is a religious belief based on non-empirical, unprovable opinions.

Most Active
Recent Topics