Palete Changes After Surgery

Mark W.
on 11/18/13 6:27 am - belle plaine, MN

BWB,

Thank you! I love your dip idea. I haven't had much luck with dairy thus far but your idea sounds fantastic. From what I've been reading, the "flemmies" are what I get when it doesn't agree with me. I love horseradish too!

~ Mark

Soapy
on 11/18/13 5:58 am
It does get better. I still have a lot of trouble with the meat category but slowly it is improving. I just conquered a boiled egg which is my new go to food. I also love beans. Ground beef is about the only other meat I can tolerate. I can make beans with ground beef, meat loaf, sloppy joes, patties....

Mark W.
on 11/18/13 6:24 am - belle plaine, MN

Soapy,

Thank you for your insight. I wish I liked eggs :( I think things would be SO much easier. I think what the others above are saying is true....(hard to hear) that I'm eating too much...period. I am going to try that first and see how it goes. To date, I haven't been able to eat ground beef either and all meats have to be really juicy or else there is NO way it's going down. 

~ Mark

jsm
on 11/18/13 10:44 am, edited 11/18/13 10:46 am

Hi Mark,

I'm 4 years out and as others have said it will get easier.  However, use the trick of small plates for your food.  You have this tiny pouch about the size of a small medicine bottle.  Not much food is going to be able to fit in it.  Chew, Chew, Chew.  If all you can get down is 3 bites, then so be it.  Stop.  This is a conscience thing we all have to learn.  Even today, I still must stop myself once I have a clue I'm about to be full.  Even one bite after that will give me this uncomfortable full feeling, which I hate (amazing I could stuff myself before and that full feeling never bothered me).  Go with your 3 bites, throw the rest away, or save it for later, but don't try and eat it.  Keep thinking of the image of that small medicine bottle.   If you like beans, you might want to try a burrito bowl from Chipolte.  Instead of the rice, get the beans, add chicken, veggies, salsa, cheese and lettuce.  I can usually get 3 - 4 meals out of one bowl.  As for getting down beef, my surgeon told me not to have any beef for at least the first 6 months.  I know each DR is different, but just throwing that out there.

Best of Luck on your journey,

JoAnne

Mark W.
on 11/18/13 10:46 pm - belle plaine, MN

Joanne,

Thank you for your wonderful advise. I will remember that. It's funny because I just met with my therapist and he asked if the sessions prior helped with the new life now. I told him not really....at least for me. I love your idea of using small plates. I have to get over the old way of thinking I know it's what I have to do. I hate throwing away food...but since my surgery date, it seems that I throw LOTS away. Seems like such a waste. 

Again, I love your ideas and will implement them immediately !

~ Mark

Most Active