First business trip after RNY

pathchic
on 11/21/13 12:22 am - FL
RNY on 08/07/13

OK, I'm heading to the airport in a couple of hours for my first business trip after my surgery.  I am about 3 1/2 months out.  Equipped with protein bars, vitamin supplements, a refillable water bottle, some protein powder for shakes and a workout plan.  Though I still loathe flying, I'm kind of looking forward to NOT having to squeeze my butt into those damn seats - I no longer fear the chair with arms!  This is a short trip, just a couple of days - but it is also a test run for a longer trip to Europe next month.  Little anxious about the food that will be provided (hence the protein bars and shakes), it is unlikely there will be options during the meetings.  Any last minute advice?

Kelly M.
on 11/21/13 12:51 am - TX

Sounds like your are prepared.Have a good trip.

Kelly in Texas   Gastric Bypass   Oct 15 2012  

ebtiger24
on 11/21/13 1:04 am - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

A woman in my support group travels the world. She said always be prepared. I don't know if you're a dumper or not, but she said it is no fun to dump on a tour bus in Denmark. 😄

I always have a protein bar when I go anywhere for any length of time just in case I get caught and need something. 

Jody ***
on 11/21/13 2:36 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

One of my tidbits of advice will be - when you go to Europe, take your OWN shaker bottle or 16 ounce cup to make your protein drinks in.  I went to Italy and liked my protein in my coffee.  They give you those little itty-bitty cappacino cups - you're not getting protein AND coffee in them! 

I traveled a lot after my RNY.  Always had protein drinks with me and luckily I usually got a say in where we ate.  If it is sandwiches, just open the bun and eat the innards out.  I really don't think people really make a deal over it anymore, as so many folks are on low-carb diets.  Just choose the right foods and eat your protein bars if necessary.

Good luck!

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

tdbull
on 11/21/13 11:02 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
I travel a lot for business. I cut up beef jerky and put in baggies. Also, almonds are a great protein boost.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

LadyAnastacia
on 11/21/13 8:54 pm
RNY on 11/06/12

I travel for business frequently also.  Three months after surgery I spent three weeks at The Hague, then left for 2 months in Afghanistan, which ended up stretching to 4 months.  Being in Europe was easy - Afghanistan wasn't.  At least in Europe you have access to clean water, protein bars, vitamins, etc. if you have to stay longer than planned.  I ran out of everything since there is only so much you can bring with you in a single suitcase and still have room for clothes.

I made sure to bring some of those test tube sized very high protein drinks.  They have 50+ grams of protein each and I could drink half of one when I didn't get enough to eat.  Be prepared though.  TSA made a mess of my luggage when they xray'd it and saw all the tubes of liquid.  I also brought some protein bars and some nuts since they are fairly compact.  I had to do without safe water most of the trip, so protein powders weren't brought.  I also had to drink diet coke, since that was the only low calorie drink available that wasn't infused with e-coli or cause dysentery.

Be glad you are going to Europe. :)  Hope you have a great trip.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 360 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 337 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 297 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 353 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 297 views