Meeting with Dietitian

Fr33P4m
on 11/21/13 1:32 pm
RNY on 12/04/12 with

I met 1 on 1 with a Dietician for my first time post-op. I am almost 1 year out and have been told I just need to maintain now. My protein, Vit. A & Vit D had dropped at 6 mo. and 9 mo. 

The Dietitian I met with told me I need a minimum of 1200 calories and to increase my carbs and fat. After she said that she specifically told me that she was not saying she wanted me to head to McDonald's after our appointment. She said to take fat when eating Vitamin A heavy foods, strongly suggesting things like a baked sweet potato with margarine. Even suggesting I add olive oil to my pumpkin protein shakes. This because Vit. A is a fat soluble vitamin. Too bad I do not care for avocados. The carb increase is because my lack of carbs is causing my body to use the protein I take and turning it into carbs for energy. I am due to have labs taken again in about 3 weeks and we will see and adjust accordingly. 

This is not all she said, my appointment lasted an hour. We went over quite a bit and she gave me numbers to shoot for. 

One of the things she said and I will take to heart is the reason we very often have different dietary and vitamin needs is that no 2 surgeries are the same, even how much intestine was bypassed is going to be different. 

I share these things for information.

[Highest: 295] [Surgery Day: 264]  [Goal: 150] ​[Height: 5'61/2"]          

PetHairMagnet
on 11/21/13 6:48 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

I can't get past you not liking avocado...I used to eat one every single day! LOVE them!

Did she specify margarine over butter? I won't eat margarine but do like real butter. 

I have been taking Dry A. Do you take that or an oil based A?

I totally believe that different needs are out there because some folks are doing something very different from others and yet both are successful, so what your nutritionist said makes sense.

CONGRATS on being at goal!!!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Fr33P4m
on 11/22/13 1:07 am
RNY on 12/04/12 with

I may have to try a bite of avocado some day as my tastes have changed a bunch, but it's hard. 

Yes she started saying butter than changed it to "well, margarine". 

I am taking a dry A.

Thanks and great job on all your work!

Needanewbeginning
on 11/21/13 9:22 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Congratulations on reaching your goal! That's fantastic! I was at my 6 month meeting with my dietician the other day. I was very surprised to be told that I need to increase my carbs as well. I have been following what I was given post op, no more than 15 of carbs per meal, 5 of fat and no more than 10 of sugars.  This month my loss has been slower than last month, sure I know loss will slow down the further out we get, but this month I was loosing the same 3-4 lbs most of the month. After explaining this to my dietician, she reviewed the past two months of my meal journals I printed off for her from my fitness pal. I was really shocked when she said I need to stop using butter and use margarine? That stuff hasn't been in my home for many years and the tiny bit that I use butter, I think I prefer to keep it that way. But the biggest change she would like from my diet, is upping my carb intake per meal, making it "more balanced carb wise". So moving forward I was asked to increase carbs and "wise carbs" of course, lol, is 90-100 gms per day or breaking it down to 30 per meal. Yikes!! I am not sure I get it. But she's explained exactly what you were told, that not having enough carbs, balanced at every meal, robs my protein intake so I apparently need to make sure my protein bumps up to a minimum of 80-90 per day now as well. You have done so great and reaching gal, wow, a huge accomplishment! Now on to your next phase, maintenance! Congratulations once again.

Annette  

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Fr33P4m
on 11/22/13 1:17 am
RNY on 12/04/12 with

Thanks. She said her advice was going to scare me but to try. I am trying, it is scary.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 452 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 347 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 349 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 200 views