Anxious about Surgery

Shayvin
on 11/23/13 11:33 am

Hi, I am new to this site and really glad I found it. I have a surgery date in December. I am on the liquid diet and feel great! However, I am really nervous, my anxiety is high. It feels surreal that I am this close to being who I have always meant to be. But, I am starting to freak out a bit. Not about the life change, I am so ready, but about the surgery itself. I am terrified I won't make it. There I said it sorta out loud. An y encouragement? My surgeon was nonchalant in a positive way. I do not feel fearful of his skills at all, just that something bad could happen. I have had surgery before and had complications so I am nervous I guess. Thoughts or encouragement? Thanks in advance.

Jen Lyn
on 11/24/13 12:54 am
RNY on 11/11/13

This is the first surgery I was scared of because of possible complications. I didn't want to be the failure. 
I have followed the doctor's diet religiously and have had no surgery complications.  I had surgery november 11th.
I would take someone with you at the hospital if at all possible.  Or better yet, people for each shift so they don't get worn out. :-) Good luck.

Rachael D.
on 11/24/13 1:34 am
RNY on 11/25/13

Honestly, I'm glad you brought this up. I feel the EXACT same way. I'm not fearful at all of the lifestyle change, I've worked hard for it, I'm scared to death of surgery itself. Try and relax and even plan in case something were to happen. But, try not to stress because its harder to make it through the pre- op diet when stressing.

Hth,

Rachael

Highest Weight: 345 Surgery Weight: 289 Current Weight: 260

(deactivated member)
on 11/24/13 1:37 am - WI

I completely understand where you are coming from. My surgery is a week from Tuesday. I have been a nervous wreck as well. I think the one thing, is you have to stay positive. One person said to me on here, that there is a risk just walking outside. As nervous as I am about this surgery, I am more nervous about my life if I don't have it. One of the worst things I did, was read all the bad things that can happen, because I scared myself! No one can promise that complications won't happen. But as long as you trust your doctor and do everything they say, you will be fine!! Good luck to you!!

Stacy Sikes
on 11/24/13 2:43 am - OR

Atomblin74, We got just over a week!!!

RNY on 12/2/13 with Emma Patterson,    Highest  Weight: 352 ; . Surgery Day: 334

(deactivated member)
on 11/24/13 7:01 am - WI

I know swtrayn, you are one day before me!! Hard to believe our dates came up so fast. It seems like only yesterday, that I got the call saying I was approved! Good luck!!

SusieQ1947
on 11/24/13 10:05 am - OH

I completely remember that feeling! My Roux en Y was April of 2013, and I remember laying on the operating table just before surgery with the same thoughts! It had crossed my mind repeatedly in the weeks and months before surgery too. I think that kind of anxiety is pretty normal! I'm here to tell you that you will be just fine!  Getting there is the hardest part, but MAN, once you are there and have had the surgery, start reaping the rewards!!  You will be SO glad you did it.  One day it will all click and you will realize how phenomenal you feel. I know it's hard to realize that now, but please have faith- in the process, the surgery and most importantly- yourself. The 1st week or so after surgery is a bit rough, HOWEVER, please take it easy and give yourself the time you need to heal. I didn't exactly do that. I felt like I had to be moving around, doing laundry and dishes, etc as soon as I got home. I can tell you from experience- looking back, please, please, please give yourself the time you need to recuperate! The dishes, laundry and everything else CAN WAIT!  Please message me or E mail me if you have any questions at all, or E mail me at [email protected]. Good luck! You can do this- and you will be just fine,

SusieQ1947
on 11/24/13 10:08 am - OH

Ok...when I submitted this, it went under my moms ID SusieQ1947. Mom is currently going thru the pre-op process! My ID is River727000. Not sure what happened there! LOL!

Mary Catherine
on 11/24/13 2:03 am

I just accepted that there was a risk.  I had my living will, financial will and final arrangements in order.  I did not think I would die, but wanted things to be easy for my family if something did happen.

Of course nothing happened and surgery went well.  The hardest part of the journey was worrying about it beforehand.  When the surgery was over and I was back home, I called a friend and said that I felt wonderful, but worried that the effects of the surgery were going to "hit me" all at once and I would feel sick.

She told me that if I felt that good two days later, then it was only going to get better.  She was right.  That was six years ago and I have had no problems.  Best decision I ever made.

Shayvin
on 11/24/13 2:50 am

Thank you so much for the encouragement. i am writing details for my partner in an envelope just in case. I look after all the finances and medical ect. So I don't want him to be lost. I guess having been the fat sister my whole life, struggling to be heard in my career and no biases, doing so much for other people to feel that I am worthy of being in the room ect...it makes me feel like I will have to fight just as hard to have this surgery. Its a mind set thing. I am ecstatic and have done all the right things. I made a huge document on menu planning, research to eat the best highest protein food. Packed all my "fat" summer clothes in bags..boy did that feel good! Following my surgeons instructions to the letter.I lost my job in 2008, it was a hell of a job.Worked hard in my career to climb the corporate ladder. The year before I lost 75lbs, got to 210 and was a size 14...I am 5feet8. I felt great..but it was Dr. Bernstein....I became sick after diagnose fibro. severe arthritis..I am so looking forward to less pain and more energy. I have great plans on a charity. I want my second chance at life. I am nervous because I feel jinxed lol. Its good to know others feel the same and worked through their fears. Wonderful encouraging stories here. Thanks You!enlightened  I haven't  really seen any one with complications. My nurse told me this could happen because of "non-compliance". Apparently 2 people died after surgery because they went home and over ate. I am following to the letter!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 358 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 328 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 183 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 111 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 183 views