Significant Complications

CelticSoul
on 11/24/13 8:17 am

Some of you may have followed a previous post about the end of September or 1st of October this year.  I had had a number of post op issues after my 4/3/12 GBS.  About 6 wks post op I developed a stricture and had to have more surgery.  Then, about 8 wks post op I had a serious gastric bleed that required hospitalization and transfusions.  I have had 2 EGD's w/continued diagnosis of anastomotic ulcers.  Then, I was in hospital on 9/14/13, 10/13 and again on 10/24 when an internal hernia was discovered and repaired.  Unfortunately, this has not fixed the issues of pain, difficulty eating and gastroparesis.  The gastro doc will do ANOTHER EGD on Wednesday am  to DOCUMENT internal issues and I will go to my bariatric surgeon Wednesday afternoon to discuss plan.  Suffice it to say, I AM TERRIFIED.  I honestly am not unhappy about having had the surgery-problems do arise, but my issue is with the poor post op care I received following continued pain and problems.  There is a significant conflict of interest when a doctor's desire for a perfect "EXCELLENCE" rating becomes more important than reconciling a patient's ongoing problems.  If I opt to transfer care to a new bariatric surgeon, the delay could be 4-6 wks.  That's not a healthy alternative IMO as I've already dropped another 7 pounds since 10/24/13 and I am back on liquids now.  I urge everyone to understand ALL of the potential risks involved before undertaking the physiologic changes of any type of bariatric surgery.  I do not regret my decision.  I am about 12 pounds from my goal....the doctor's goal is about where I am now.  But, I have had a very difficult time getting to goal.  And, now, I am concerned about more serious surgical intervention to correct these issues.  My greatest words of advice is make sure you discuss how your surgeon handles problems that may arise.  Ask questions about after hours and weekend emergencies.  Ask questions about how they will coordinate care if you develop gastric problems which arise AFTER bariatric surgery.  I was unaware that there was this 'conflict of interest' where bariatrics and gastroenterology cross.  This should not be an issue about physician ego-it should be an issue about proper patient care.  If there is anyone out there that has experienced this sort of problem and resides in the N. California area-please gram me.  Maybe you have some suggestions about how to proceed.  I need help.  I'm so afraid.

PetHairMagnet
on 11/24/13 8:22 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Oh goodness, I am so sorry you find yourself in this situation. Prayers for resolution and healing!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

CelticSoul
on 11/24/13 8:29 am

Thank you for the prayers.  Most appreciated.  Stay well yourself!  

Celtie kiss

Shayvin
on 11/25/13 10:25 am
so sorry did they indicate why you have these happen?
CelticSoul
on 11/25/13 1:46 pm

kissShayvin,

The complications I have had are not unheard of after RNY surgery.  However, I believe they were  exacerbated by the dismissive behaviour of my bariatric surgeon and her staff when I complained of pain.  I developed an ulcer early after my surgery and that became her mantra...."it's not your bariatric surgery-it's your ulcer".  However, I did not have an ulcer prior to the surgery nor did I have some of the multitudes of problems before I had the surgery.  I think it's incumbent upon a physician to support their patients BEFORE, DURING and AFTER!  Unfortunately, there's not much aftercare with this physician.  *sigh*  I encourage all people considering any type of surgery, bariatric or otherwise,  to be very thorough and diligent about asking questions regarding all facets of their care.  Had I known that this doctor is not easy to deal with post operatively, I would have chosen a different practitioner.  Thank you for your interest and concern.  Best regards, Celtie