My fav NSV :)

Jules0225
on 12/15/13 11:19 am

So I am currently writing this at 30,000 feet in the air. I am on my way to Orlando, FL for a 2 week vacation. The NSV... granted it's the second time I've flown since surgery but it's still one of my favorites... NO SEAT BELT EXTENDER. Back in May when I flew I was able to fasten the seat belt... but barely.... now I get to pull it so it's tight!

I planned this trip around this time last year... I had my surgery November 19, 2012... so not too long after that. The sentiment behind this trip was for me to do things I wouldn't have been able to do at 440lbs. That being said I have achieved my first goal of flying comfortably and without an extender. Some of the other things we have planned are ziplining at Florida's Eco Safari as well as ride every ride at every amusement park here. At 440 lbs I never would have been able to do any of it. I wouldn't even have been able to make it on my feet all day at the parks. 

I suppose I did have another NSV today... so I'm flying from PA to Detroit then from Detroit to FL. I had 40 minutes in between flights. My flight leaving PA was delayed. I landed in Detroit with 20 minutes to get to my connecting flight. We landed at the end of one Concourse and I had to go to the other end of a completely different Concourse. I ran... literally... and made my flight. At 440lbs... psh... I'd be spending the night in Detroit! 

To those who may be experiencing some difficulty or buyers remorse post op:

Please hang in there and know it does get better. It really is the little things that make this journey truly amazing and absolutely worth it (well being healthy is pretty important too ;)  ). 

Height: 5'8", HW: 6/4/12 440lbs, SW: 11/19/12 389lbs, CW: 219lbs 01/01/2014

Patm
on 12/15/13 11:22 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Those are awesome NSV's. Hope you enjoy your vacation

dragonlove
on 12/15/13 12:41 pm
RNY on 11/20/13

Awesome!  I bet you were grinning for the first half of the flight just from thinking about the seatbelt!

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

PetHairMagnet
on 12/15/13 9:31 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

YAY FOR YOU,!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

The Salty Hag
on 12/15/13 10:36 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Yay! Congrats! I can't wait to get to fly somewhere. The few times I did have to catch flights, I dreaded them because of the limited space and the dirty glances of the other passengers.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

averybyrd
on 12/15/13 10:51 pm

That's awesome! Have a lot of fun on your vacation! Enjoy the weather, too!

dessalves
on 12/16/13 3:29 am

That is an awesome NSV!! Even though when I went to Disney I wasn't at my highest weigh it was still uncomfortable in the plane and I barely fit in the rides. I was always terrified I wouldn't and that I would die of embarrassment!!! I am still far from my goal weight but I am not as fat as I was when I went to Disney. I am planning a trip there on April (hopefully, being from Brazil it is a little more complicated, the dollar is so expensive right now) and I just can't wait to see the changes on the plane and on the rides!! Super excited for you. Hope you have a wonderful time!!!

Cunning_Pam
on 12/16/13 3:45 am
RNY on 12/18/13

That's an excellent NSV, and I can relate to it very well! I flew twice this past weekend, and on each flight I just kept saying to myself "No more extender soon, no more extender soon".

Congratulations on the great progress!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 357 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 256 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 347 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 283 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 116 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?