Please tell me this is normal

walkingbear36
on 12/16/13 3:49 am - Ferndale, MI

today is 8 weeks since i had surgery and i have to tell you it hasn't been all sunshine, puppies and rainbows. please tell me if this is normal for 8 weeks out: i'm nauseous most of the time, the thought of eating food makes me sick, i still mostly rely on protein shakes because i can't keep most things down. i have a lot of trouble getting in all my water and protein every day. the doctor and his staff says this is normal and i read other posts that say "it will be get better".  will it end? i just want to feel like myself again.

please tell me i'm not the only one feeling this way at 8 weeks out.

UGH!

Cunning_Pam
on 12/16/13 3:53 am
RNY on 12/18/13

I don't have the experience in this area to offer yet, but I did just want to post a word of encouragement for what it's worth. From everything I've read here on the site it seems that things can be difficult at first, but that it DOES definitely get better with a little time. Please try to keep your chin up, look for the little victories to celebrate when you see them, and hang in there! You CAN do it!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

walkingbear36
on 12/16/13 4:01 am - Ferndale, MI

Thanks, Pam.

krp123
on 12/16/13 3:55 am - Arlington, VA
RNY on 04/25/13

You are most surely not alone. I am 8 months out and still adjusting and learning. I would say I started to feel more like myself around 3-4 months out. I still wasnt able to eat solid food at breakfast time until maybe the last 2 months or so (so i was on protein shakes in the morning until i could eat without feeling nauseous.) I still have nausea on the occassion but I am learning what triggers it- certain foods, pace that i am eating, amount that im eating, etc. i promise you it will get better and you will ultimately be happy with your decision. How is your loss going? Are you noticing changes in that regard? Or how your clothes fit? Try focusing on that to make you feel better. Its going to be so worth it! kiss

Surgery: April 25th, 2013

walkingbear36
on 12/16/13 4:02 am - Ferndale, MI

thanks for the encouragement.

MyLady Heidi
on 12/16/13 4:37 am

That wasn't normal in my experience.  I was eating normal food again at 6 weeks out and enjoying life but my hospital roommate I saw at a followup around that time and she looked and felt horrible.  I felt so bad for her I didn't even want to tell her how good I was doing, she was literally the color of ash, she was queasy from the moment she woke up from surgery and still was weeks later.  So I guess it can be normal but unfortunate that it is you.

Jen Lyn
on 12/16/13 9:37 am
RNY on 11/11/13

I am 6 weeks out and the difficulty came witt this stage of  eating meat.  Pureed still doesn't help me get beef and chicken down. The nausea comes every time i chug water which is the hardest habit to break for me.  My doctor's staff says this is normal and will pass.  Like you, I am ready to eat a small amount of normal food and not worry.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/16/13 9:46 am - OH

Yes, there are others who have a hard time the first two months, but it is not "normal" to be nauseous most of the time and be throwing up all the time this far out.  At 8 weeks out, you should already be feeling better than you did the first month.

I would suggest that you make an appointment and go in and actually talk to the surgeon.  You may have a stricture causing you to throw things up.  At the very least, he should be able to give you a prescription for something for the nausea.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

PetHairMagnet
on 12/16/13 12:58 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

The thought of food is making you sick, not the actual food? That sounds like a  brain issue, not a pouch issue. I was not nauseated, but found it much easier to do shakes and bars at 8 weeks out. I now eat at least one 'chew food' meal if not two daily, but enjoy a shake daily. I find them YUMMY!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/16/13 9:00 pm, edited 12/16/13 9:00 pm

I had that for a few months.  But my nausea was the worst in am. And if I was able to prevent it in am - I could start eating in the afternoon. 

Warm teas first am were very helpful. I called that 'waking up the pouch and liver'. I drunk 3-5 ginger herbal teas a day. Ginger, lemon ginger, warm to hot, sipping slowly. 

For months - strong smell of food could make me sick give me nausea.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."