confused

Lea Terrell
on 12/18/13 9:56 pm

First of all Good Morning to all, thanks so much for being on this site.  Your posts have helped me greatly.  My RNY will be 12/26.  I am confused about the liquid 2 days prior and clear liquid 1 day prior.  I am a diabetic, did you (diabetics) take your meds on those 2 days?  I am terrified my sugar will fall out and I will be passed out on the floor.  I don't recall in my pre op class them instructing us on what to do.  

SteveWebb
on 12/18/13 10:10 pm - NC

I'm presurgery but I've been told since I'm on insulin I will need to talk to my regular provider about using the sliding scale.  I will have to check my sugar before each meal to decide how much insulin if any to take.  I will see the Surgeon next month for approval.  

Jeremiah 29:11 " For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end". 

saterry
on 12/18/13 10:14 pm - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

Congrats on starting your new healthy life !!

Call your surgeon about your medication. Always clarify medication questions with YOUR health care professionals because they know you and your history.

We are all different and will have different treatment needs before, during and after surgery.

Welcome to the club.....hang on for a wild ride 

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

Lea Terrell
on 12/18/13 10:26 pm

thanks so much!  i will call him today!  I am so looking forward to my "new me"!! My goal is to get off the meds, like all of us so I have to remain focused.  Have a wonderful day

Lora R.
on 12/19/13 12:36 am
RNY on 09/12/13

I was on Metformin and glipizide before surgery.  Have been completely off since.  Beware, before I left the hospital I was given a prescription for insulin and had to give myself shots if it went over a certain amount.  I didn't know that was going to happen and was actually ticked off at the aspect, lol.  Not saying this will happen to you, but a possibility.

RNY: 9/12/13 HW:  347  SW:  315  CW:  183  BEST THING I EVER DID FOR MYSELF! 

Grim_Traveller
on 12/19/13 12:52 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I was on metformin before surgery, but never insulin. However, for the two days in the hospital they gave me a few shots of insulin. The trauma from surgery can do some bizarre things to your body. Within two days of surgery, though, I was off of all meds, and have been since.

A far as those few days before surgery, you really should get very detailed instructions as far as food and meds from your medical team. My surgeon told me he always operated on patients on insulin first thing in the morning because of their diabetes needs.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Lea Terrell
on 12/19/13 10:18 am

not sure how the order at Kaiser is, I'm not on insulin any more...I guess I was trying to punk out because the Metformin makes me yak on an empty stomach.

Lea Terrell
on 12/19/13 10:20 am

thank you!  man, your weight loss is awesome!!  I am at 229 now, 5'4, 59 yrs old...i have lost 20 lbs for the surgery, however, last year this time I was at 278.  You all give me so much hope, thanks for your reply.

PetHairMagnet
on 12/19/13 4:45 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Talk not only to your surgeon, but when you do the pre-op assessment with the anesthesia department, make sure they are fully aware of what you and the surgeon discussed. I know my husband was required to take his meds right up until surgery, but every patient is different. This is NOT a place I'd be looking for a definitive answer on something that critical.GOOD LUCK TO YOU! Pretty awesome surgery date! 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Lea Terrell
on 12/19/13 10:17 am

Thanks very much, I will do.  I told my husband to take everything in a bag even if he takes it back out to the car.   Kaiser doesn't want you to bring your meds, but after so may years of being attached at the hip to them it is almost like leaving a "not so wanted" friend behind.  I thank you for all of your posts, I have been reading them every day.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 289 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 211 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 281 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 211 views