Children's Ibuprofen or no?

Jevika
on 12/28/13 6:11 am
RNY on 12/13/13

Hi. First period since surgery and OH MY GOD KILL ME, MY INSIDES ARE TRYING TO TWIST IN HALF!!!!!  hahahah okay so started my period yeterday and these cramps are just wearing me out.  I spoke to my primary and he indicated that Ibuprofen should be find, and I have Children's Motrin here at the house, so I could take a really small dose and test that out.  I've had no complications or other issues.  Has anyone else out there found a safe medicine (i really dont care to talk about heating pads...) that they used for their menstrual or back cramps within the first 1-2 months following bypass?

Trisha S.
on 12/28/13 6:21 am - TX
RNY on 12/02/13

No Ibuprofen..  that is an NSAID and we can't take them after surgery.

Trisha

poet_kelly
on 12/28/13 6:29 am - OH

Most surgeons, as well as the ASMBS, recommend RNY patients not use NSAIDS, including ibuprofen.  Tylenol is safe.  Or you can ask your doc for a prescription for something for pain.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jevika
on 12/28/13 6:47 am
RNY on 12/13/13

Awesome! Thanks guys :)

new_me180
on 12/28/13 7:01 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

I have awful cramps as well and my doc is the one who suggested Dilaudid. Works wonders.

TattooMammaRN
on 12/28/13 8:31 am

Careful Tylenol is an NSAID also!!

poet_kelly
on 12/28/13 8:32 am - OH

No, it is not.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/28/13 8:37 am - OH

No, Tylenol is not an NSAID, It is, in fact, the only non-NSAID pain reliever available without a prescription, and therefore the only thing we can take post-RNY.

Perhaps you are thinking about aspirin (which is an NSAID)...?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/28/13 8:34 am - OH

Seriously, Dilaudid for menstrual cramps?!?  You're kidding, right...?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 12/28/13 8:36 am - OH

I was surprised to think a doc would prescribe that for cramps.

Most Active
Recent Topics