1st surgery of 2014

southernpeachnc
on 12/31/13 10:35 am

I'm new here but have been a faithful reader. My surgery is this Thursday Jan 2nd and the first one of 2014. I've never gone in for resolutions but do believe in "solutions"!  I'm staying positive.  I've been on the liquid diet for 3 weeks and was on a restricted diet for 6 wks prior.  I've gone from 263 lbs to currently 219 lbs.  I've managed to already come off one diabetic drug and have lowered my insulin from 80 units down to 18.  I've been going to the Y constantly.  Yes; I am 61 years old but met an 80 year old petite lady at my info meeting who had it done at my age and I want to be just like her.  She was quite an inspiration!. Cute as could be.  Please hold good thoughts for me and I pray I'll be one of the lucky ones with few side affects.  Thank you all for sharing your paths both pro and con on this amazing journey.

Can't Never Did Nothin !!  

tdbull
on 12/31/13 10:47 am - WA
RNY on 08/13/13
Sending you good wishes for a speedy recovery, and wishing you a very successful and Happy New Year!! This will be your year of dramatic change.

Lapband surgery in 2009 -  Revision to RNY August 13, 2013 with gallbladder removal.

HW - (260)   SW - (197)   GW - (135), updated on 1-2-14 to 125lbs  HT 5'5"  Goal reached 3/2/14-revised goal to 120 on 3/9/14   reached 4/6/14             

mollz007
on 12/31/13 11:04 am
VSG on 02/20/14

Wow, congrats on your weight loss so far! That's really impressive! I wish you good luck with your surgery, and happy new year!

check out my blog!

Gypsyqueen5
on 12/31/13 3:21 pm - Seattle, WA

Wish you good luck with the Surgery. i am behind you a few days Jan 6. Keep in touch.

SeattleSeagirl

Lizzie S.
on 12/31/13 7:10 pm

I was 61 at time of surgery and it all went great, I'm sure it will for you too.   For me, pain from surgery was minimal and to be honest if my intake had not been so decreased by the surgery I would not know I had been re-routed by rny.  I've had zero complications, can eat anything (have never dumped or had anything "stuck", no nausea etc since surgery.  I followed the instructions I was given for post-op to the letter as I wanted things to go well.   I know that's not a guarantee they will, but it worked for me.   

I'm not always a poster child for perfect eating these days at almost 3 yrs out and still would like to lose another 30 lbs....but I have to say that if I stopped at the weight I am currently, I would be ok with that too.  I feel and look so much healthier.  I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.  Will be thinking of you and saying a prayer for all to go well!

L:izzie S in OR

southernpeachnc
on 1/1/14 9:23 am

So kind of you to reply.  It's good to hear that you've had such a successful time of it.  I hope I fare as well as you did.  It wont be from my not abiding by what I'm told.  You sound at peace with your decisions and that's all we can do.  Thank you for giving me some added confidence for my surgery in the morning.  The prayers and kind thoughts are in my favor.  Thank you again Lizzie!

Can't Never Did Nothin !!  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/31/13 11:57 pm - OH

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!  Attitude and expectations contribute a lot to post-op experience (in terms of things like nausea, food tolerance, etc., not to purely physical complications like strictures, of course!), and it sounds to me like you have a great attitude!  

I have been here on Obesity Help almost 7 years, work with clients who are preparing to have -- or have had -- WLS, had RNY myself 6 years ago, and have made many friends who also had WLS.  It has been my experience in all of those areas that those who are over 40 when they have surgery tend to do much better both in terms of experience in the first month or so post-op and in terms of long-term success. 

If I had to guess based on just this post, I would say that you are going to do GREAT!  Let us know if we can help in any way.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

southernpeachnc
on 1/1/14 9:19 am

Music to my ears!  I've tried to do all that was asked to ensure a good surgery.  Thank you for the kind words of encouragement.

Kathiestephens55
on 1/1/14 12:59 am
RNY on 01/07/14

Best of luck with your continued weight loss and way of life. Prayers for successful surgery and recovery. I'm scheduled for January 7 so I'll be watching for your progress. 

cajungirl
on 1/1/14 9:32 am

Best wishes on your surgery tomorrow. You are doing fantastic already!  

If you haven't taken pictures please snap a few before surgery tomorrow. 

Sip, sip, sip and walk as much as you can. Rest as needed. Oh if you haven't packed chap stick grab some it was probably the best thing I took with me to the hospital. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 432 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 360 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 298 views