Pain after RNY surgery

RNYGuyPA
on 1/1/14 2:41 am
RNY on 12/27/13

I'm a 49 yr old male, starting weight 405# in August, lost 53 lbs leading up to surgery, 352# on the day I had surgery (12/27).  I was up and about on the day of surgery with some discomfort.

While in the hospital on fluids, I gained 18 lbs !!!!  Discharged after 2 nights in the hospital and everything seems to be going well, except I am experiencing a good bit of pain around my left side of my stomach.  Now after 5 days, I'm back at my pre-surgery weight of 352#.

I've been taking pain meds off and on as needed, but every so often I get a sharp pain.  It's not tied to any liquid meal or vitamins or anything else and maybe I'm being a baby about the pain, but I wasn't expecting this much discomfort.  When I sit, I'm relatively pain free, just when I'm getting up or walking about.

I'm curious if this is normal for most people and when I might expect it to pass.  I have a follow up with my PCP on 1/6 and with my surgeon on 1/9.

happygrandma
on 1/1/14 4:21 am - Highland, MI
RNY on 12/17/12

This is pretty normal.  If it gets intense I would check with the doctor.  It's my understanding that most of the work is done through the incision on the left, that the most surgical tools go through that opening.  I had terrible bruising in that area and was sore for a while.  The weight gain in the hospital is normal too.  No one told me that (never gave all those IV liquids a thought) and I was pretty bummed.  The weight will start coming off now.  Congrats and good luck with your journey.

RNYGuyPA
on 1/1/14 5:58 am
RNY on 12/27/13

Thanks!

6' 2"     HW: 405      SW: 352      CW: 276      GW: 225

Trendweight

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

happygrandma
on 1/1/14 4:21 am - Highland, MI
RNY on 12/17/12

This is pretty normal.  If it gets intense I would check with the doctor.  It's my understanding that most of the work is done through the incision on the left, that the most surgical tools go through that opening.  I had terrible bruising in that area and was sore for a while.  The weight gain in the hospital is normal too.  No one told me that (never gave all those IV liquids a thought) and I was pretty bummed.  The weight will start coming off now.  Congrats and good luck with your journey.

angeleigh
on 1/1/14 4:36 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

The sharp pain can be 1 or 2 things normally. 1 your pulling the inside of the wound when you move, like going from sitting to standing, I did that a few times which caused my large incision site to weep (never fun when your out and about) 2. Sometimes its gain pains, drink warm liquids, walk more, and take gas x strips.  If it becomes a continuous pain then I would call your doctor.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

RNYGuyPA
on 1/1/14 5:59 am
RNY on 12/27/13

Thanks for your message.  

Trendweight

gtrdyfor50
on 1/1/14 4:38 am
RNY on 10/08/13
All sounds normal to me, hang in there, you'll feel better with each passing day.

RNYGuyPA
on 1/1/14 5:59 am
RNY on 12/27/13

Thank you

Trendweight

kisersassy
on 1/2/14 11:58 pm - Stanaford, WV
RNY on 10/29/12

Also if it wasnt mentioned , this is normal, but constipation can cause pain as well.  If your taking pain meds I strongly urge you to be taking Miralax once a day so that you can avoid being constipated and impacted.