Getting Cold Feet

mama2418
on 1/21/14 3:27 pm
RNY on 02/13/14

I have been reading about  complications. The leaks scare me and needing blood transfusions 

I have my surgery scheduled for 2/13 I am really getting nervous.

Cant the doctors check for bleeding and or leaks before you go home.

Scared in Ohio

pathchic
on 1/21/14 6:53 pm - FL
RNY on 08/07/13

The risks of surgery pale in comparison to the risks of living an obese life - always keep that in mind when you start to fret-

poet_kelly
on 1/21/14 7:17 pm - OH

Yes, they check for leaks before you go home.  Some docs check for them while you're still in the OR. Other test for them the morning after your surgery.  Leaks are not common at all - less than one percent of RNY patients have a leak - but it is super unusual to develop a leak after you go home.

I encourage you to talk to your surgeon about your concerns.  He or she call tell you how many patients they've had that have develop leaks or other serious complications

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PetHairMagnet
on 1/21/14 8:26 pm
RNY on 05/13/13
On January 21, 2014 at 11:27 PM Pacific Time, mama2418 wrote:

I have been reading about  complications. The leaks scare me and needing blood transfusions 

I have my surgery scheduled for 2/13 I am really getting nervous.

Cant the doctors check for bleeding and or leaks before you go home.

Scared in Ohio

The complication rate is very low nationally and of all the many surgeries I have had, this was the one I worried less about. Heck, my c-section was far more involved and those are done by election by plenty of women all day, every day without a second thought.

What is the complication rate for your surgeon? What about at your hospital? Do you have experience with having had other surgeries? Are you normally given to anxiety over things you've chosen to do? Is this a different sort of behavior for you or typical? What is your support system with friends and family like? How involved are you with the support group at your practice? Have you talked to other patients who had successful surgery experiences (not the weight lost component, but the actual surgery/recovery)? 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Ehbeagle
on 1/21/14 9:55 pm - Virginia beach, VA

I am pretty sure that most of us had some of these thoughts before surgery; at least I did.  As for checking for leaks... My surgeon did it twice, once while I was still in the OR and once the next day.  As someone already said, the risks pale in comparison to the risk associated with obesity.  Good luck!

mama2418
on 1/21/14 10:38 pm
RNY on 02/13/14

Thank you or the pep talk, I really needed it

TurnThePage
on 1/21/14 11:51 pm

Remember that your surgeon and the entire medical team really, really want you to be healthy and successful---because they went into medicine to help people and because of the very real legal and financial consequences if they screw up--and they will do all they reasonably can to ensure that everything about your procedure goes well. 

mama2418
on 1/22/14 11:07 am
RNY on 02/13/14

I feel better after all the post. I see the surgeon on Wednesday and I will talk to him about my worries. Thank you everyone

BWB
on 1/22/14 11:45 am

It is normal to have concerns for any surgery.  I did but I made sure that my surgeon had high credentials, had performed thousands of RNY's, and I liked how he conducted himself with me as a patient.  I had total confidence in him and his staff.  I haven't had one complaint.  If you have doubts about your doctor then find someone else.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 370 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 337 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 139 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 212 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 122 views
Recent Topics