Popping out in a sweat...

VintageChick
on 2/8/14 5:46 pm

I'm down 100+ lbs since May.

Seems my body doesn't regulate comfortably for me anymore.  

I expected to be chilly just from reading many threads on the subject here.  I didn't expect to be chilly, then pop out in a sweat as soon as I became just comfortably warm. It seems there is no happy medium! It's especially disruptive to sleep! No matter how high or low I set the furnace temp, or how many or few articles of clothing I have on, it seems the best I can get is 75% of the time comfortable and 25% in a hot sweat, which turns cool, and then chills me. Crazy thing is, I can still pop out in a sweat with my hands and feet still chilled. 

I'm just trying to decide if this is surgery or age related, or a mix! I'm 47...maybe menopause is knocking on my door!

Is this normal? Does it get better?

lap RNY 5-15-13

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/8/14 9:05 pm

Hi. Menopausal or peri-menopausal.  Check some books on that. Articles.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/8/14 9:18 pm, edited 2/8/14 9:18 pm - OH

Yep, I agree with Hala that it is likely peri-menopause.  Also, if the whole "rapid release of estrogen stored in fat" is true (have seen differing opinions/evidence), that process of a flood of estrogen and then having the levels drop back off might exacerbate it.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

selhard
on 2/8/14 9:52 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Hi, after reading the first couple of sentences, the word "menopause" was flashing high in the sky!  I'm 53, throwing the covers off the bed one minute and two minutes later, reaching for them again :/  My guess is a mix of surgery or age-related, normal, and this too shall pass :)

The Salty Hag
on 2/9/14 12:13 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Ooh, this has been happening to me too!! It drives me crazy!! I go from wearing two pairs of socks on each foot and layers of clothing to stripping down to my skivvies or a summer nightie ( if the fam is home. Don't want to traumatize my kids! )

I thought I was going nuts. I'm relieved it's not just me, but sorry you are going through the same thing, VC. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Dorkgirl_41
on 2/9/14 6:06 am - CA
RNY on 07/10/13

Right there with you! I'm 43, so I figure it's a mix of both surgery and forthcoming menopause. Freezing to the point of wearing a thick scarf and layers to shedding clothes as fast as I can get them off! And at night......good grief. Freeze and cuddle up to hubs, then wake up an hour later with sweaty PJ's and have to throw off the covers and skootch to the other side of the bed.

Start Wt: 355   Surgery Wt: 331   Current Wt: 253 Goal Wt: 175  Had RNY on 7/10/13

My blog about my journey - Up From Under

PetHairMagnet
on 2/10/14 12:39 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On February 9, 2014 at 1:46 AM Pacific Time, VintageChick wrote:

I'm down 100+ lbs since May.

Seems my body doesn't regulate comfortably for me anymore.  

I expected to be chilly just from reading many threads on the subject here.  I didn't expect to be chilly, then pop out in a sweat as soon as I became just comfortably warm. It seems there is no happy medium! It's especially disruptive to sleep! No matter how high or low I set the furnace temp, or how many or few articles of clothing I have on, it seems the best I can get is 75% of the time comfortable and 25% in a hot sweat, which turns cool, and then chills me. Crazy thing is, I can still pop out in a sweat with my hands and feet still chilled. 

I'm just trying to decide if this is surgery or age related, or a mix! I'm 47...maybe menopause is knocking on my door!

Is this normal? Does it get better?

We had surgery 2 days apart and I'll be 47 this month-glad you are having great success, too!

I have been on bio-identical HRT for a few years, but without that I am a mess of very cold to very hot. Have you considered seeing your GYN for the hot flashes?

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

VintageChick
on 2/12/14 9:06 am

Thanks for the replies... This is no fun! It probably is age, and nice to see I'm not alone!!!  Next Dr. visit I'll mention it. In the meantime I think I'll be doing a little research on menopausal supplements. 

I've always dreamed of having a hot body. But not in the literal sense!

lap RNY 5-15-13

Most Active
Recent Topics