My stomach after losing 240 pounds (Pics included) may be TMI for some

sarahmathis1681
on 2/14/14 2:20 am
RNY on 02/13/12

http://www.weight-loss-center.net

sarahmathis1681
on 2/14/14 2:22 am
RNY on 02/13/12

Have my panniculectomy consult next thursday

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/14/14 2:44 am, edited 2/14/14 2:44 am - OH

I certainly don't mean to take anything away from your accomplishment, but you are not done losing yet and your stomach does not appear to hang over onto yor thighs to impair your basic mobility (it doesnt even appear to hang over the pubic bone much) and -- sorry, I truly don't intend for this to sound mean-- there is still a lot of fat under that skin.  You really will NOT get a very good result from a panniculectomy if you do it now rather than waiting until you are done losing.  

The surgeon just is much more limited in what he can do and how he can make it look when there is still a lot of fat. Any surgeon who tells you otherwise isn't being honest with you and is more concerned about his bank account than your outcome.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

sarahmathis1681
on 2/14/14 3:20 am
RNY on 02/13/12

ok i appreciate your input i think im going to wait for a while to have it done

robynimac229
on 2/14/14 3:36 am
RNY on 08/21/13

Congrats on losing 240 pounds! I bet you feel so much better about yourself already even with the belly flab. Just think how it will be when the final process is done with all the finishing touches. I know my mother asked me if I planned on having a tummy tuck when I was done, she said I sure hope not, my reply was you betcha I am! I have hated the hang from the day I had my C-section over 7 years ago and the weight gain on top it didn't make it any prettier.

You go girl!

Robyn

HW 249 -  CW 158 - GW 115  Blog: http://robynsweightlossjourney.blogspot.com/

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Laura in Texas
on 2/14/14 5:57 am

Meet with the surgeon and see what he has to say. I agree with Lora. People who get a panni while they still have a lot left to lose, generally are people whose stomachs hang down like THIS. Your stomach does not look like that. Keep working hard at losing the weight. You are doing a great job and have come a long way. Just a little more work left to do.

Let us know how the appointment goes!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

leisac
on 2/14/14 6:08 am - Australia
RNY on 07/10/13
leisac
on 2/14/14 6:10 am - Australia
RNY on 07/10/13

You have done an amazing job to lose that weight and should be well proud of yourself.

In Australia if the overhanging stomach causes problems (e.g. rashes, back pain, psychological disturbance, etc) then Medicare may fund the panniculectomy. Unfortunately in my case doesn't look like any of this is going to happen even though I really hate the loose skin. So looks like if I want it done I will have to pay.

Everything I have read to date seems to say for the best results that you should be done losing and have maintained a stable weight for many months. I've lost about 178 pounds to date but I still have about 10-20 pound to lose to reach the weight where I want to be and would like to know that I have maintained for a minimum of 6 months. That being said will probably aim for 12 months of maintenance before I look to this surgery.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Leisa

leisac
on 2/14/14 6:12 am, edited 2/14/14 6:13 am - Australia
RNY on 07/10/13

Deleted other post as I had overstated my weight loss (maths was never my strong point) and was trying to edit and ended up double posting.

Leisa

siberiancat
on 2/14/14 7:33 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

First congratulation on  your weight loss thus far.  I had an abdominoplasty - which is different from a panni.  My plastic surgeon wanted me at my goal weight for 12 months before the prodecure.

I agree with Lora about having a panulectomy while you still have weight to lose.  If there is a source of payment, unfortunately, many doctors perform procedures that should wait or are not necessary.  I fear you will wind up having a similar issue with loose skin AGAIN -  that you don't like - if you have panni now and then go on to lose the rest of your excess weight.

Just my opinion.  Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active
Recent Topics