Crushed

averybyrd
on 2/19/14 5:27 am

I went to the doctor today and they weighed me, because that's what they do at the doctor's. Then the nurse said, "You've lost 6 pounds!" 

"I've lost 90 pounds," I corrected. 

"Well, you've lost 6 since your last visit!"

Which would be nice to hear, except that my last visit was a month ago. 

Only 6 pounds in a month. Only 6 months out. 

What happened??

poet_kelly
on 2/19/14 5:29 am - OH

What happened is that you've lost 90 lbs in six months.  Are you really crushed by that?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Wendi0209
on 2/19/14 7:13 am
RNY on 09/13/13

I had surgery a month after you and I have slowed to about a pound a week and sometimes less. I don't think it's realistic to believe the big numbers are going to last forever. Six pounds in a month is a good number IMO. I personally think you are a rock star for what you have accomplished already!

good luck,

Wendi

The Salty Hag
on 2/19/14 7:52 am, edited 2/19/14 7:52 am
RNY on 05/20/13

During my 6th to 7th month after surgery, I lost 9 lbs. I am nine months out tomorrow, and I'm down another 24 lbs in the last 3 months. My weight loss seems to come in spurts now, but the overall downward trend is still there. 

You could also be losing inches. 

96 ( or 90! ) lbs in 6 months is pretty freaking awesome. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

averybyrd
on 2/19/14 8:30 am

Thanks, all! I really needed a little encouragement. I just worry that I'm slowing down TOO much. I guess it doesn't matter as long as it never comes back, right?

And 90 is a pretty huge number, really. I'll focus on that!

tscription
on 2/19/14 12:41 pm

I had a similar experience at the doctor's office today.  I was there for my 3 month check up and was told I had only lost 5 pounds since my last visit which was a little over 6 weeks ago.  I was - to use your word "crushed."  I know we shouldn't compare our journey to others but sometimes it is hard not to.  I do not weigh unless at the doctor's office because I do not want to obsess over the number on the scale but rather adopt a healthy for life attitude but when I saw the number I was not happy.  I have to believe in the process and that it will work for me in the long run.  I will keep doing what I am supposed to do as I am sure you will.  Good luck to you on your journey.  

(deactivated member)
on 2/19/14 12:56 pm
averybyrd
on 2/20/14 7:43 am

I'll cheer you on! I was TERRIBLE about losing weight pre-surgery. Luckily, since I was 100% self-pay, my doctor didn't require it. I ended up randomly losing 7 pounds from stress, but I didn't ever diet. I'm in awe of those of you who do and do so successfully! Just think of the will-power and success you'll have AFTER surgery if you're already able to do it now!

Ashley in Belgium
on 2/19/14 2:24 pm, edited 2/19/14 2:24 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

We had surgery on the same day!  And I have lost 96lbs as well so I'd say we are on relatively the same track.  I have noticed that my weight holds steady for 10 days or so and then drops and then stays steady etc.  This seems to be my new pattern instead of a steady downward trend.  I can say that by day 7 or so I am over being all zen about it and am ready to see smaller numbers (and my scale is in Kilos so the number is 71kg which is hard for me to remember is 156 lbs, not 171 lbs :) ) but I am trying to have faith in the process and I know that at 6 months out I am not done, but that it will be slower now.  As long as we get there right?  Keep working the plan - you are doing GREAT!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

averybyrd
on 2/20/14 7:41 am

Awesome! I'm actually really excited that we're surgery twins!

My weight loss is doing the EXACT same thing. A week or two of nothing going away, then a loss for a couple days, then a stall. And then my period comes along and messes everything up. It took weeks to lose what I gained back last month (a whopping 3 pounds). I'm very bad about not weighing, and I'm very bad about not getting completely devastated when the number doesn't change. 

I'm trying to focus on other changes, but I got so excited about the fast weight loss I started with that now I'm just perpetually bummed. Coming here and being cheered on (or getting random compliments at work) is sometimes all that keeps me going, I think!

Most Active
Recent Topics