How much protein?

tramac14
on 2/22/14 6:57 am

So i just got done with my month check up. Its actually been more than a month. (Surgery was Jan 8th)I am down 44 pounds.  I feel great. Vits, water and exercise in check. Protein intake around 80 grams a day. The surgeon told me today i need to have 80 grams of supplement protein in addition to what i am eating. I think if i have 80 in supplement protein i will not want to eat at all. I have read many profiles and haven't seen anyone else mention this....thoughts?

selhard
on 2/22/14 7:25 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I read many profiles, too, and here's what I think you'll hear, "s/he's may be good at being a surgeon, but not good at knowing the nutritional details."  Most of us have been instructed to get at least 65 grams of protein per day either in food such as meat, beans, nuts, dairy products or protein supplement form such as shakes, drinks, smoothies, bars.  If you can get all your protein from food, supplemental protein isn't necessary.  How'd I do?

tramac14
on 2/22/14 7:43 am

I agree 100%. I want to learn how to eat healthy food and not drink shakes the rest of my life. This wasnt actually the surgeon that did my surgery. This was the guy that owns/runs the place. Top dog i suppose. He was an ass. My mother went with me and just looked at him in disbelief.  My surgeon was wonderful.... i will ask not to see him again! He jjust happen to be in town. Thank you again. Sorry for my rant. I cannot stand arrogant people!

poet_kelly
on 2/22/14 7:43 am - OH

I can't imagine why he would recommend that  much protein - and that many calories.  The ASMBS recommends 1.1 grams protein per kilogram of ideal body weight.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

tramac14
on 2/22/14 7:58 am

Kelly thank you for weighing in on this. I knew that didn't sound right.  I just reviewed his paperwork for after surgery and it does not say that.

PetHairMagnet
on 2/23/14 10:37 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On February 22, 2014 at 2:57 PM Pacific Time, tramac14 wrote:

So i just got done with my month check up. Its actually been more than a month. (Surgery was Jan 8th)I am down 44 pounds.  I feel great. Vits, water and exercise in check. Protein intake around 80 grams a day. The surgeon told me today i need to have 80 grams of supplement protein in addition to what i am eating. I think if i have 80 in supplement protein i will not want to eat at all. I have read many profiles and haven't seen anyone else mention this....thoughts?

So 160 grams a day? Am I reading that right? Are you eating the right types of protein-is that why the doctor wanted you to have supplemental protein? I mean if you are having 80 grams of collagen protein, then sure...I could see you needing 80 grams of a whey isolate protein for example. 

I just feel like there is something key missing here. That just seems wrong to require 160g a day. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/23/14 1:10 pm - OH

Are you sure you understood correctly?  Are you sure your surgeon understood that you are already getting in 80g of protein?  160g of protein per day is WAY more than anyone needs (and would just be extra calories). I am coming up on 7 years out and I would have a really hard time getting 160g of protein every day!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

tramac14
on 2/24/14 12:31 am

Hi ladies. That is exactly what he said. I questioned and repeated what he said. My mom even piped in repeating what i have been eating. It pissed him off because we were questioned him. I agree with you all. I am doing what the nutritionist told me, losing weight and feeling great.  Thank you all for your comments!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 291 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 216 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 283 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 145 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 216 views